1978 Lincoln Mark V AC problems

MarkV

Well it is getting hot here in California. So, I took the Mark V for a drive and what did I find? The ac is blowing at a medium cool temperature. Not enough to cool the car at all. I had it put over to 134a 6 years ago and it was serviced and a hose replaced last year. The ac blows cooler out of one vent compared to another. It has never operated 100% correctly even after the compressor was replaced and the system was put over to 134a and even after last year with the new hose and the system supposidly refilled. I have opened the hood and all the metal fittings and hoses frost over quickly (with white ice on them). However, near the firewall the line is cool but not cold. I am wondering what the problem is...

Basic things to do would be to check the a/c condenser core to make sure it's not accumulated anything on it to restrict air flow. Second thing would be to check the charge of R-134a gas in the system (starting with 75% charge of the prior R-12 charge level). Then make sure the fan clutch is operating correctly (as air flow across the condensor is more critical in slow traffic situations.

Check for "Private Messages".

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

A/C has a high side line that is the thinner of the two in the system. This line gets hot. The low side line is the thicker lines in the system. These get cold. You can not open any part of the system to inspect. It is closed and under pressure. It is best to take it to a technician to inspect the high and low side pressures. I suspect you are low on R134.