The Neatest Gas Station You Have Ever Seen

Guest T-Head

The first station is very cool Art Deco looking. Frank Lloyd Wright is just ok, but the rest just appear to be average looking old stations. There have been other really cool stations in the past. I was hoping to see more of those.

Guest T-Head

H-D-I.jpg

A wonderful image of a rider posing with his late twenties Harley-Davidson and sidecar outfit. He is at a Standard Oil Station and visible on the far left is an oil dispenser for heavy oil, in the middle one for medium weight oil. To the right of the dispensers is a small “Free Crankcase Service” table with a rack holding pre-filled one quart oil bottles and directly behind him is a hand pumped gasoline dispenser. We have many more gas station photos for you to enjoy on The Old Motor.

Guest danceswithpumps

Thanks to all of you that have posted pics of the old stations. :) I love them and everything that goes with them. Here are some pics of a few of my pumps.

0618120843.jpg

0618120841.jpg

0618120842.jpg

Thanks,:)

Rod

Guest T-Head

Detriot-1953.jpg

A photo taken during a gas war in Detroit, at a fairly modern looking Sunoco station in 1953.

Can anyone ID the location based on the Detroit Terminal Railroad bridge in the background?

• 4 weeks later...

Given the date, 1939, and again referring to the chart I cited above: Inflation adjusted Gasoline Price Chart

While this is nominally very cheap gas, given the purchasing power of the dollar during the recession of the late thirties, this was a period of generally expensive gas!

Back to the original post: neat looking station! Interesting that this business made money soley via sales of gas. No garage business attached and certainly no convenience store!

H-D-I.jpg

A wonderful image of a rider posing with his late twenties Harley-Davidson and sidecar outfit. He is at a Standard Oil Station and visible on the far left is an oil dispenser for heavy oil, in the middle one for medium weight oil. To the right of the dispensers is a small “Free Crankcase Service” table with a rack holding pre-filled one quart oil bottles and directly behind him is a hand pumped gasoline dispenser. We have many more gas station photos for you to enjoy on The Old Motor.

The Harley has no front brake so is not later than 1927.

This is a Tokheim 850 "clock face" gas pump. They were made from 1930 until 1939 ( Gas Pump Heaven*::*REPRODUCTION PUMPS*::*CLOCK FACE PUMPS*::*TOKHEIM 850 CLOCK FACE PUMP ). Gas prices averaged around 17 cents/gal. throughout the 1930s, so the pump was very likely brand new when photographed.

fotw364.jpg

Interesting to see that gas price chart. Seems my summer 1978 tour of the US was made just in time. I recall paying 68c in the LA area but quite a bit less in Louisiana and the dearest was up in the redwood forest area on the Pacific coast where I think it was nearer 80c. At that time the NZ dollar was on par with the US dollar and we were paying $1.20 for a US gallon equivalent. The differences are primarily due to taxation.

Does any one know what kind of pump this is? I have never seen one with the extra globes.

That looks like an early version of a lighted pump, as they appear to be lamps globes hanging around the pump. I bet that's a rare one to find today!

Seeing this station makes one wonder how those guys made a living when gas only sold for 12-15 cents per gallon? They had a few groceries on the shelves, that's true, but gee, how did they manage?

Wayne

They made a bigger percentage than gas stations do today. I know the first gas station I worked at in 1968 regular was 45c and the station's profit was 16c. Some years later when gas was 89c the profit was only 6c (different station). This was when neighborhood full service/garage stations were phased out and the big gas/convenience stores came in.

I don't know what they get these days but it's not a very big markup. Today they sell a lot more gas, and the customers pump it themselves and wash their own windows too.

Guest T-Head

post-65489-143139102099_thumb.jpg

This is quite an exceptional and modern Mobil station which was situated right near Disneyland’s parking lot in Anaheim, CA. The station, which was photographed in 1956, with its modern, single-post supported canopies was designed by the architects Whitney Smith and Wayne Williams. On The Old Motor we have more fine photos by the noted photographer Julius Schulman along with more info and links about it.

• 2 weeks later...