Radiator Hose Failure

Guest fenwick

Guest fenwick

I Went to New Orleans today to put my car in a movie called "Empire State". They filmed all morning (from 5:30 til 12:00) in a supermarket outside of the city. Everything was going fine until we had to go into the center of town after lunch. They had two blocks of a one way street (one block from Canal Street) cleared for us to park, but it took a lot of time for everyone to park, and several cars were overheating. My 70 Riviera was one of the casulaties. I had managed to get the car parked into it's spot, when suddenly a very loud Boom was heard by everyone within 50 feet. When I was able to open the hood, I saw that the upper radiator hose had burst into two pieces. Everything else was ok. The motor was not real hot, and it turned over easily. I had a friend that lived nearby pick up a hose, and we installed it without problem. I later drove it 50 miles to my home, and everything seems ok, but the radiator hose was very hard, like it was under a lot of pressure. I had noticed before that the old hose was swollen near the place that it parted, but it was a new hose, so I didn't think that it was a problem. My question is, does anyone have any ideas what may have caused the hose to break? Couldit be the thermostat or the radiator cap? I am attaching a picture of one end of the hose, and the car.

post-74648-143138995197_thumb.jpg

post-74648-1431389952_thumb.jpg

Guest fenwick

I replaced all my hoses and belts last year. I got the new one from NAPA, so that shouldn't be the problem.

A faulty thermostat could have been subjecting the hoses to excessively high temperatures for the past year.

A faulty radiator cap could have been subjecting the hoses to excessively high pressures for the past year.

Combined, the two could have blown a hose in a year, I suppose. I have not seen that before.

Whenever you see a hose "ballooning" you need to replace it, I don't care how old it is.

A faulty head gasket can cause very high pressure in the cooling system and cause the radiator to rupture. It might be a good idea to have a radiator shop put a pressure gauge on your radiator and then crank the engine and see if the pressure goes real high.

Guest fenwick

Thanks for the input. i replaced the 180 degree thermostat, and it was stuck open. Maybe it could have stuck closed. I also pulled all of the plugs, and the 4 on the driver's side looked OK, but the 4 on the passenger side looked different. They were more white and cleaner than the other 4. Maybe the head gasket to that side is leaking some. I also have a slight miss when it is idling. I am going to put a pressure gauge near the temperature sensor and see if it increases when it is running.

Please check last page of the following PDF document: http://www.drifterscarclub.org/minutes/2012/May%202012%20Minutes.pdf

This information was also in May/June 2012 Riview magazine, page 7 (now attached below).

And Gates info: http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1024

post-64271-143139000819_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick-riviera.pl
Adding Riview picture (see edit history)