Looking at paint

Guest Stevie G

Guest Stevie G

Hey all,

How critical is the color of your ride?

Does the color have to match the factory code on the firewall tag?

Hypothetical situation:

Two identically equipped Rivieras, One is numbers matching, correct color exterior and interior right down the the size of the buttons in the seat. The other is a nicely done mild custom in your favorite color with a few tasteful mods to the interior. Same price, which one do you buy?

I would never pay the same price for a custom that I would for a correct original, especially following your specifications.

It's too easy to go custom. Corners can be cut and done on the cheap. A car kept original takes a lot of effort and sometimes expense.

This is just me and I am a purist at heart.

In answer to your original question. I think that most car judging allows for a car to be any color that was originally offered even it doesn't match the code without loss of points.

Secondly, lots of customs are overly built. I know of one car in CA that's being built right now sparing no expense, taking no shortcuts, and the owner is hoping that it will be the first 1st generation Riviera to go for six figures. You can't tell me that having a car built by Chip Foose or one of his peers would not sell for at least what a 100% restored to original car would bring.

I'd wager to say that there are a lot of restorations where short cuts have been taken as well.

Caveat emptor.

Ed

If you really don't care which of the two you buy, you are a rare car guy. Most people have their minds made up one way or the other. For most there is no choice, it is one way or the other. Been said here before, you don't build a Riv for resale value. If is isn't a labor of love, don't bother. Your car, your choice. Choose what makes you happy and go for it.

I agree with Ed. I have seen lots of cars done right, both stock and custom. And a lot with plenty of corners cut, both stock and custom. Again, choose what you want and don't worry about what others think..

Guest Stevie G

Thanks for the replies guys,

Nothing I do to the car cannot be undone. Ed, the first sentence in your reply was my main concern. I'm just not in love with Diplomat Blue. I have secured a set of original seats, but I will probably put in a set of late model seats with a shoulder harness. That and changing the grain/color of the wood for the interior is about as custom as I would go.

The only reason I'm keeping mine bone stock is for the cheaper insurance with collector plates. If they move the year up from the current 1958 for modified collector plates I'd go mild custom personally.

Like Ed said a well built custom will more than likely add to the value not take away from it. If you watch the Barret Jackson auctions you'll see the customs go for more than the originals more often than not.

Guest Rob J

Well, I can tell you guys, I'm not cheaping out on the frame off restoration I'm doing right now on my white 401 65 , and I plan to do an even better job on the GS when it's turn is up. I too, am more of a purist, and would rather see a 1st gen Riv restored to factory correct. Not many of the custom Rivs appeal to me. I have seen a few that were pretty nice though, but I'd never really want to own one. I think they look the best stock.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

In my case. I wanted a mild custom. My '65 isn't well optioned. Just has a/c. As soon as I bought it I knew I wanted to lower it. And put a different color on it. I wasn't in love with seafoam green. A 63-65 Riv is as close to a factory custom as you can get. A stock Riviera lowered with nice wheels looks GREAT.

DSCN0286-1-1.jpg

Other than color and ride height mines all stock.

Edited by bb1970 (see edit history)