this is a great forum!

Thanks to the ones that tried to answer my questions regarding the '37 ford club coupe...I mistakingly posted this same message in ccca forum and the question offended them. I was thinking that a '37 ford was a "classic" in a sense...but i was told different in that forum..and also shunned because i was referring to a Ford a "classic" so thanks again..im glad i found this great forum!!

I think there might be a few people that would disagree with you, wait till you get to know the regulars. shocked.gif" border="0 <P>If your out there 4 Jaw Chuck, why don't you give this new guy a debriefing! tongue.gif" border="0

Jeremy, Welcome to the group! The fellow on the CCCA board treats everyone that way, it gets to be funny after a while. "Classic" is one of the most overworked works in the car hobby. The '37 Ford is a nice car, I had a slant back Tudor once, but they are not, and never will be a "True Classic". Most 37-38 Ford coupes became stock cars which is why they are scarce today.

It took me a long while to understand the classic boys as to what a "Classic" is. After pondering it a long while,I concluded the # 1 road to becoming a "Classic" is to go BROKE.

Jeremy, I also wish to welcome you to the DF. Please do not be sensitive to the distinction of the term "Classic". This has been a problem for many years. That is the reason that CCCA finally bit the bullet and trademarked the term Full Classic to distinguish this select group of vehicles. If you read the list of cars designated as Full Classics I think you will agree that they are a very special class of vehicle and deserve to be recognized as a group. Unfortunately, I have become convinced that the terminology fued will exist forever.<P>The AACA does have a separate class for our National Meets for these cars, however, as you have not doubt noticed by posting this thread, AACA and it's members have a much broader interest to cover all types of vehicles. Thanx for joining us. smile.gif" border="0

thanks for the responses..I agree that there should be that distinction between the cars. I really enjoy this forum and decided to post a question to many of these old car forums in search of possible answers to my questions regarding the club coupe model '37. thanks any way though, i appreciate all of the responses

To "The Observer",<P>Any thread where bigcarnut has posted is lesson enough in itself. It seems they cannot help themselves, the temptation is too great and the flesh is weak. I am sure there will be many more responses to this one.

confused.gif" border="0 But isn't a Brewster-bodied Ford considered full classic? Agreed, the word is severely overused. Even the factories were guilty- I'm looking over my nice 1961 Oldsmobile prestige sales catalog, bought last weekend- and there it is. "Classic Ninety Eight"! Distinguished...Distinctive...Decidedly New!<P>But in those years GM could get away with it...

The CCCA has a very important and well defined mission. It coalesces interest and support for what must be considered a truly different grade of antique car. <P>I have only one quibble with it's defintion, that being the arbitrary cutoff date of 1948. I feel that there are many equally unique postwar cars that are being short-shrifted by the lack of such an organization (The Milestone Society's list is too broad to supplant the CCCA for those years). But that is a mear trifle.<P>It does, however, have a serious problem. Something that I think should be addressed. <P>It's name.<P>The word "classic" was probably chosen at a time when it conveyed a lot more meaning than it does today. I don't recall in my early days in this hobby hearing more common vehicles (i.e. Mustangs, MG's, etc.) referred to using this term. <P>Today the number one selling soda pop has "classic" in it's formal name!<P>In fact, the proper term for "collectible vehicle" in the U.K. is "classic car". This can cause a great deal of confusion when you're reading works on European cars or by European authors.<P>I think the CCCA should seriously consider defining a new term to indentify the cars it recognizes. I think that would eliminate a lot of jealosy and antimosity towards them and their mission. "Full Classic" doesn't differentiate itself enough to aviod the problem. <P>Perhaps something like "Elite Standard" or "Halcyon Vehilce".

Guest Randy Berger

The word "Classic" has been ruined by overuse and those not really understanding the definition as in Webster's. The same can be said of "antique" which here in Pa. is generally any car over 25 years of age or an orphan. Folks began applying that to anything over 25 and thus we have plastic tumblers advertised as "antique" on ebay. There is a legal definition of "antique" and that is anything over 100 years of age. If you buy a chair in France and can authentify it as being over 100 years of age you don't have to pay any duty on it when bringing it into the country because you are enriching the country. If you buy new chairs and bring them in, you have to pay an import duty. That is simplified, but you get my drift. It is unfortunate that states have applied "antique" and "classic" to automobile plates because it has caused a great deal of confusion. confused.gif" border="0 For instance I am never going to be considered a "classic" but already qualify as an "antique" (a couple of times). rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>I get in this argument/discussion a lot in my other hobby (collecting toy trains). The terminology has been bastardized there, also. grin.gif" border="0

Actually, I personally find the CCCA forum (and club) a pretty good one too. <P>Don't knock the CCCA forums over semantics. It very plainly states at the top of the forum its mission and focus. Respect their interests as you would expect others to respect ours.<P>Peter

I agree with that as well. I respect there rules and regulations on what a classic is.<BR>I will say again that I was only trying to throw that question out to anyone that would know or have any information on the old fords. never meant to cause this much hostility to any forum, Thanks

Tolerance and friendlyness is not a quality that is regarded very highly by a few select members Jeremy, for the most part everyone would be more than happy to help you privately. If you lurk a little longer you will soon find out who these people are. It helps to search the database and see if there might be similar questions asked before and then pose your question to a person who responded with some civility. Don't give up, you will get the help you need if you are persistent.