63 riviera hard start after sitting 8 hrs.

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

Hello,

My new 63 riv fires right up unless it has set for 8 hours or so with out being started. As I hear this is a common problem but get conflicting info on what is probably the cause would someone please let me know a fix that they have done.

Thanks so much,

Steele

Guest kaycee

I would'nt call it a common problem. Does it crank over and not start or does it not crank over after eight hours?

:) kaycee

Guest Steeleco

Thanks for asking. Just to clarify, it cranks great even after sitting. If I put a few drops of fuel in the carburator it starts great. Then fires right up any time during the day. I have heard it may be the carb fuel well leaking and someone else said the fuel maybe siphoning back to the gas tank (bad check valve in the mechanical fuel pump.. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Guest slacker1965

my brothers 64 did that....rebuilt fuel pump cured it.....I don't know if the check valve can be replaced...if it has an alum based carb like an afb, the ss baseplate & gasket is supposed to help the fuel not boil out of the carb after running....these things make a lot of heat & don't have much underhood free airspace

good luck & let us know what you find out

The stainless steel plate is to keep the corrosive exhaust gasses from the aluminum base of the carb; Rochester 4GC equipped carbs don't have the SS plate because the base of those carbs is cast iron and isn't subject to the corrosive gasses.

The ss plate is what allows heat to reach the base of the carb. It is necessary to warm the carb in very cold climates in order for the eingine to perform while still cold.

Ed is correct (as usual).

I'd like to ask everyone to add their name and ROA number to their individual signature lines (in the User Control Panel -- User CP in the menu bar at the top). Then it will appear automatically when you post. It really helps everybody keep track of who we are helping.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bulldog65

Jim & Ed --I just bought the SS carb plate for my rebuilt AFB...dumb question: does the felt gasket go on first-to the intake manifold- then the SS plate goes between the gasket and the carb base???? hadn't given this much thought until reading this thread...thanks Doug Hooks

Ed describes it as it came from the factory.

If you have any doubt about vacuum leaks between the stainless steel plate and the base of the carb, add a second composite gasket there, too. Sandwich the stainless plate between them. It won't heat the carb base as well, but no vacuum leak messing up your idle.