Buick reatta error code help

Guest Ryguy92503

Guest Ryguy92503

Hello, I want to make my '89 reatta to run like new but I put a scanner to my car to check every little thing that was wrong with it and I got these errors,

26 quad driver mod fail

34 MAF sensor or cir too low

41 no cam ref signal

64 med. orifice egr sol fail

Can anyone help me and tell me what to do with these errors and where to get them? Thanks!

Hello, I want to make my '89 reatta to run like new but I put a scanner to my car to check every little thing that was wrong with it and I got these errors,

26 quad driver mod fail

34 MAF sensor or cir too low

41 no cam ref signal

64 med. orifice egr sol fail

Can anyone help me and tell me what to do with these errors and where to get them? Thanks!

First off, you're probably better off using the on-board scanning tool built into the CRT. Go to the climate screen and hold down the "off" and "warm" buttons until it enters diagnostic mode.

Second sounds like your can magnet is disintegrated. Padgett has replacement instructions on his website.

You probably also have a bad mass air flow sensor.

Not sure on 26 and 64 though.

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Guest Ryguy92503

I have done the on board diagnosis before but most of the codes say history. I don't know if I'm doing anything right but I see codes and just 2 are current and I have around 7 history codes.

Guest Ryguy92503

I've tried that but then 20 minutes later I'll have history codes again..... I don't understand

Guest Ryguy92503

My on board diagnosis said e026 current and history, e041 current and history, b337 history, b132 history, b420 history, b552 history. I don't understand how to read these codes or what to fix with them. Thanks!

I would deal with the ECM codes first before moving on to the BCM codes.

I consider the E026 a "catch all" code because a number of things can cause it to set. Her is what to check in this order:

1. Service Engine Soon light burned out.

Hot light burned out.

(press the test button on the IPC to check them)

2. Next check the vacuum line going to the purge tank for breaks or being disconnected and check the wiring going to the purge tank solenoid.

3. Check the function of the EGR valve by starting the engine, enter diagnostics, and using the over ride feature turn each of the three stages on and off one at at time. Each time you do the engine should stumble

4. Check the function of the radiator cooling fans using overrides.

5. Make certain the Converter lockup is working properly.

All the above items can set the E026 code.

E041 is common. It is caused by the magnet in the cam gear falling out. Repair instructions are here:

Replacing Magnavox Ignition With Delco*-*ReattaOwner.com(Thanks to Padgett for them)

Get familiar with using the diagnostics by learning about it here:

Computer Diagnostic Instructions - 1988/1989*-*ReattaOwner.com

B132 is probably a bad oil pressure sensor or the wiring going to it. Oil pressure sensors are for sale in the Reatta Store at a good price.

B420 is likely cause by the twilight senor inside the dash being bad. Do your dash lights dim automatically at night as they should?

B552 is usually caused by the battery cable being disconnected. Usually nothing to worry about.

Current means that it's having that problem right then and there.

History could mean it had the problem 10 seconds ago, or it could mean it had in 3 months ago. All depends. I Would clear the codes again and drive it for a day or two. That will give you your most recent codes (even if they say history).

Guest Ryguy92503

Okay thanks for the help! My car stalls every once in awhile while I'm stopped. Will that explain any of the codes?

You need to do some hands on troubleshooting. Once you correct problems that are setting the codes, the problem with stalling when stopped will probably go away. If it doesn't you should clean the Idle Air Controller [iAC]. Instructions are on ReattaOwner.com for doing that.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Go here and register to access the online Field Service Manual for your 89.

Reatta Data Page

Read the sections on the computer diagnostics and trouble codes 45, 46, 47.

Will tell you all about the system and how to trouble shoot your codes.

Ronnie gave you the link to replacing the cam magnet to fix code 41

Fixing the EGR fault first may correct the quad driver fault at the same time so do that one before worrying about the other. May be as simple as cleaning the 3 valves in the EGR valve if your electrical tests show the solenoids are clicking.

Three of your 4 codes can affect driveability, so if they reoccur after you clear them, fix them before worrying about other things.

Guest Ryguy92503

When I tested the egr overrides egr sol #3 stalled the car egr sol #2 and #1 made the engine to stumble. What is this telling me? Thanks!

Guest Ryguy92503

So what should I do with my egr valves? When I overrode the #3 it stalled out the car is that bad? Or normal?

So what should I do with my egr valves? When I overrode the #3 it stalled out the car is that bad? Or normal?
That is not unusual. The stumbling and stalling indicates the solenoids are opening the valves (3) inside the EGR as they should.

If you are saying the check engine light does not come on when you turn the ignition switch to run before starting the engine... you should replace the check engine bulb before proceeding with more tests. The code E026 will never go away if the bulb for the check engine light is burned out or missing.

Guest Ryguy92503

I'm going to go buy a light for my check engine light then I'll recheck the codes and post them. Thanks!

Guest Ryguy92503

I replaced the check engine light bulb but it still will not go on. I cleared my codes and I have e026, e041, b132, and b420 I have no idea what to do now. That and my ac clutch assembly is torn, can that be any of the codes?

Guest Ryguy92503

No it doesn't come on at all. But I also had no bulb in my abs place and I put one in there and that light stays on when I turn the car on. My service engine soon won't turn on and the abs one stays on, only when the car is running does the abs light stay on. But when I click test the engine light does not turn on?

Ignore the ABS light for now.

Do the following test:

Turn the ignition key to run but don't start the engine.

Run a jumper wire from terminal pin D on the ALDL connector to a good metal ground. See photo.

Does the check engine light come on?

post-52331-143138980944_thumb.jpg

Guest Ryguy92503

So I was driving my car for a bit yesterday and I noticed that my check engine light did come on. But a couple minutes later I noticed it wasn't on. It did that multiple times. It still won't turn on when I press test, every light but the check engine turns on.

It appears you chose to ignore the last advice I offered so I won't be able to help you. There are many knowledgeable people on this forum who might be willing to help and can approach solving your problems in a different way. Sorry that I was not able to better assist you. Good luck!

Guest Ryguy92503

I was going to get the jumper cables I'm going to try that right now I was just wondering if that meant anything. Thanks!

Guest Ryguy92503

And can anyone tell me where the aldl connector is? I read that it was somewhere on the passengers side but where?

The ALDL is located below the driver's side of the instrument panel, to the left of the steering column. It should have a black plastic cover on it. The face of the connector Ronnie posted will be facing straight to the rear. Please let us know if the cover is in place or missing.

Guest Ryguy92503

Thanks! And when I turned the key to run and put the wire on pin d the service engine soon light did come on and now it does when I press test. Thanks!

Guest Ryguy92503

Okay so now my check engine light doesn't work...... I then put the wire into pin d and grounded it and now it doesn't turn on......