1936 Dodge - how do you remove the tail light bezel?

The tailight bezels are crimped around the inside of the housing and were not designed to be removed. If you are careful ,you can refinish the housings with the bezels in place by covering them well with masking tape. If you need to have them replated then you'll have to remove them. I've not done this but I have a suggestion. Take a new hacksaw blade or a Dremel tool with a metal cutting blade and carefully make several slots in the inside retainer ring about 1/2 in. apart. Take an old pair of needle nose pliers, heat one tip and bend it to a 90 degree angle facing the other jaw. Form the bent end so that it will grip the inner lip of the crimped ring. Then cut the other jaw so that it will fit into the housing with the bent end clamped over the retainer. While squeezing the handles ,carefully pry the crimped portion of the bezel up and over the inside lip of the housing. After going around the perimeter the bezel should come out. Be VERY careful not to distort,tear or otherwise mutilate the bezel as they are not available new! There used to be a man who reproduced them but I think he is long gone. I was fortunate to obtain 2 sets of new bezels. Maybe someone has a better solution. When reinstalling the bezels,carefully bend the retainer lip back over the inside lip of the housing and recrimp with channellocks or you may be able to epoxy them back into position. Hope this helps!

When I did mine, I had purchased a pair of re-pop rims probably from the guy jpage mentioned. That was back in about 1990. I know they are not available new out there anymore. (Somebody out there reading this that likes to make things like these? There is a ready market!)

I like jpage's solution better than the other I have seen where the ring is cut one time all the way through near the bottom, and then carefully overlapped and removed from the bucket. This method invariably causes the ring to warp. Then you have the problem of silver soldering it back together while allowing for the space of the cut (the diameter is critical to the lens fit) without further warping, rechroming, and also figuring a way to put it back on!

If your rings are nice, and there is not a pile of rust by them on the buckets, I would give deep consideration to the "mask in place" idea. ;)

I have seen these bezels on E-Bay a few times and even won (nos MOPAR in original package) one for my rs cp. They are not offered too often and are rare to find so if looking for new ones, have your wallet in hand when you bid.

One of the "vendors" on eBay with a bunch of Mopar stuff.

His market is apparently the super high dollar "rebuilders" out in CA where the customers will pay anything to get their car done by "X Shop" and have it done in a month. His hoard sure is beyond my meager assets!

Guest 1930
One of the "vendors" on eBay with a bunch of Mopar stuff.

His market is apparently the super high dollar "rebuilders" out in CA where the customers will pay anything to get their car done by "X Shop" and have it done in a month. His hoard sure is beyond my meager assets!

Its funny, now that you mention it I think I have seen that user I.D on e-bay. Thanks

I believe the man who made those bezels was M. Biberstein but I think he may have passed on. I wonder what happened to the dies! The repros are close and nicely plated but still don't fit exactly like the originals. They rim sticks out from the lamp a little more than the originals. I had to grind my lenses a bit to get them in the bezel. The other dilema is how to crimp them in without damaging the bezel! But they do look good! I'll have to look at an old housing to see if I can come up with another easier method of removal which will allow for reinstalment!. The repros are made from brass which is a little easier to work and shape than steel.

I don't remember any of those problems, so mine may have come from a different source. Either way, I remember when I got mine there were like only four or five rings left and no plan to make more as I recall. They were not cheap so I did not get extras at the time.

Yes, mine are made of brass too. A wise way to make them I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this same problem along with the price so I paid a machinist to turn to bezel's out of a 3 inch x 1/2 thick aluminum pipe with a small set screw on the inside and they came out great cost me 100 bucks each