Car covers - who makes the best?

trimacar

Some of my car covers are getting a little ragged around the edges, so to speak.

First question, who makes the best car cover?

Second question, who makes a car cover that is the best value, that is, might not be the absolute best cover, but price is reasonable and quality is very good?

thanks!

David,

I had the cover for my Lincoln touring made up by California Car Cover for inside use. Dimensions fit well and has a soft inner layer. Suppose you could go nuts and stitch your own, though the price of material and shipping cost, is it worth it??

Cal Car Cover ? Custom Fit Car Covers, Motorcycle Covers, Cleaning Products, Garage Accessories, Collectibles and More

I second Friartuck's suggestion. I have bought 4 covers from Cal car cover and was pleased with all of them. I bought the heavier outdoor ones just incase my car ever had to get left out at a show. They worked well even on my Convertible that I had to leave the top down on and it rained. No water inside although where it touched the body if it rained hard enough some moisture would get through like on the hood and trunk lid but it kept the water from running through the car.

Hey David,

I just returned from the Reading Show and I did notice in the hotel parking lot a few cars with car covers that were more than a little ragged. Seemed like a false sense of protection. As Friartuck mentioned, California car cover has a huge variety and many custom sizes. I prefer the thicker evolution fabric since I'm wanting indoor protection the most. These covers also protect from dust. The negative is the cover itself is heavy and when removed from the car can take up half the truck.

Doug

Guest Water Jacket

Would dearly love something, anything, that helps those of us with black cars stored indoors that nonetheless seem to be dust magnets. I've tried a couple layers of 100% cotton bedsheets under the car cover, but when i remove them after the car's been slumbering still wind up with dust. Am sure anyone with a dark car stored in the garage knows what i'm talking about.

Something that doesn't weigh, as the above poster laments, half a ton.

Some of my car covers are getting a little ragged around the edges, so to speak.

First question, who makes the best car cover?

Second question, who makes a car cover that is the best value, that is, might not be the absolute best cover, but price is reasonable and quality is very good?

thanks!

First before you make a selection read the fine print on the usage for the cover. Many car covers today (BUDGE) for example have warnings NOT to use the cover on cars painted with lacquer paint.:eek:

D.

Would dearly love something, anything, that helps those of us with black cars stored indoors that nonetheless seem to be dust magnets. I've tried a couple layers of 100% cotton bedsheets under the car cover, but when i remove them after the car's been slumbering still wind up with dust. Am sure anyone with a dark car stored in the garage knows what i'm talking about.

Something that doesn't weigh, as the above poster laments, half a ton.

For indoor use or only or when it's raining and you can use a heavy cotton car cover and over that a plastic car cover. It cuts the bleed through dust that gets through the fibers of the cotton.

D

In the old days when such things were easy to find and purchase, I know of quite a few collectors (for inside storage) who'd go to an army surplus store and buy parachutes.

Light, slick, and should keep dust out.....

David, if you need one for a vehicle simillar in size to my old 127" wheelbase Packard 120, I have a Cotton Cal Car Cover used 2 seasons, indoor. I know it's early but I can deliver to Hershey. It's in a cardboard box now, I will likely order one for the MB but have been using a couple bed sheets since it is a relatively small car.

I will say even with the Cal cover you get some dust, nothing the Cal duster cannot address in about two minutes time, so that has never really bothered me - as I would prefer the trade off of some breathing to 100% dust free.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!!!!

And your comment on tarps reminds me of the West Virginian who had a truck load of concrete blocks delivered to his house.

His neighbor walks over, asks "adding on to the house?"

"Nope" was the reply, "buying more cars..........."

I use a stretch satin cover on my cars. The cover is very soft and is designed to keep the dust of while the car is parked in the garage. It is truly an indoor cover so if you will be using it outside there are other options. The cover is made by Cover King and it comes with a bag as well. Cover King makes custom covers and various types. I have also used an outdoor style cover from Cal Cover and I do not have any issues with either companies covers.