1980 Somerset

Guest ernieflash

Guest ernieflash

Hi guys I am new here . I have a question maybe stupid but here goes I have a 1980 Buick Regal Somerset I bought new In 1980 It has been in a garage for the last 25 yrs when it was parked it had 65000 miles I have the original window sticker and the "Umbrella" any thoughts as to its Value Thanks In advance

Guest ernieflash

Runs like new V6 all the options except radio delete no rot never been hit shoot i am thinking it has never been in in the rain by accident and it has NEVER Seen snow .

Guest ernieflash

Runs like new V6 all the options except radio delete no rot never been hit shoot i am thinking it has never been in in the rain except by accident and it has NEVER Seen snow .

The 1980 Regal Sumerset was a first year (and maybe only year) trim option.

You can see from the pictures it had unique paint and interior. wire wheel covers were part of the package and the 3.8 V6 was the standard base engine... 4.9 V8 and 5.0 V8 were options.

This car appears to be a base car (no radio is rare) and there is not a big market for this body style until they started making the GN. It would be neat to take this car and put a 3.8 turbo engine in it.

Checking a recent Old Cars Price Guide, 1980 Regals are listed at $5,900 for a #1 coupe and $6,000 for a #1 Limited coupe.... even with low mileage it take a super car to be a #1 so a more realistic numbers might be $4,130 and $4,200 for #2 cars.

Note that the above prices are for V8 engine cars and it says to deduct 12% for V6 which brings the prices down to $3,600 & $3,700.

Other things to consider is the condition of the tires, paint, and suspension.... even a 65K car can have parking lot dings, the tires may need replacing and the shocks are probably gone. Also, if this car does not have a radio I suspect it does not have A/C and you won't find a buyer in the south without air.

A #2 car would not need any of those thing fixed.

post-30596-143138964851_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138964853_thumb.jpg

Guest ernieflash

Thanks For that info the reason for radio delete was I wanted my own radio with power booster. (Young and Dumb) car does have air and not one single ding it was my Sunday go to meeting car ,I drove a four wheel drive all the time and the Regal when I went Out (rarely). I do remember changing the shocks (cause i Could), and it has the fancy wire wheels (with stupid locks) it needs tires cause they are sidewall cracked holding air but i would not trust them. When I did put it away I filled the fuel tank and put Stable in it , disconnected the bat. garage is dry and out of the sun (no Fade) I just want to find out what I have .Thanks Again

Guest joeyg329

Hey, i also have an 80 somerset regal as well. 4bbl 301, 66k, very clean original car (i dont have the umbrella though haha). I also had a v6 somerset with 80k on it but it was rusty. They made 6813 somersets. They are listed as limited models. I find them to be very classy cars, however most people find their styling and interior to be god awful haha. I would say the value of your car would be around 4000, but if will tough to find a buyer. Does the car still the original bumper fillers?

For the record, they made a somerset in 81 (called the somerset II, it was a brown and copper two tone), in 82 (blue and tan as well, more subtle interior, i owned one for 5 years) and lastly in 84 (light brown/dark brown two tone with a chocolate interior, with a "RS" hood ornament).

The name package came from an upscale mall in michigan called the somerset mall, the mall even has a blue/tan theme haha.

post-85549-143138973788_thumb.jpg

post-85549-143138973791_thumb.jpg

post-85549-143138973796_thumb.jpg

If you put Stabil in the fuel tank, from what some have said in other threads, if you ran the car afterward, it might cause more issues with getting the carburetor cleaned up that it might have solved. I also recall somebody mentioning that it's only good for about a year or so. SO . . . plan on a fuel tank removal and cleaning, much less what the carburetor might need.

All of the rubber fuel lines will not like our newer ethanol'd fuels, as they've probably already deteriorated somewhat from age anyway . . . ethanol will make it worse. Also, don't forget there are rubber lines between the fuel tank sending unit and the lines that run between the tank and the front end of the lines, at the fuel pump. Plus, the fuel pump diaphram is rubber, so a new fuel pump would be in order, too, I suspect.

Tires definitely will need replacement. Even if the weather cracking is not bad enough for air seepage, they'll probably be so flat-spotted that you can't drive over 30mph . . . from my own experience.

I concur, they were very nice cars. The interior is pretty snazzy, too! None of the engines will get really great fuel economy on the highway, even considering their lowered power output compared to similar size engines in more modern vehicles. I'd call the engine size issue "a wash", personally. I'd be more concerned with how well it does run and such rather than the size.

I also concur, that car, being what it is, needs to go to an appreciate collector than end up on some "used car lot", even if it's one that specializes in older vehicles.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467