Help with new wheels/tires?

Guest FrostByghte

Guest FrostByghte

I wanted to try a more classic hot rod look for my '63 Rivera. I happened across this picture online:

1963 Riviera - Marina, CA, KCRA 3 u local Community Photo - u local, Your Sacramento Photos & Videos

I was wondering if anyone could identify those wheels for me? Also, any advice on what size tires to run?

From all my reading, I just need wheels that fit on a 5 x 5 bolt pattern with a 3 3/8" center? The problem is I don't really understand backspacing or if there will be any other problems involved with bolting them on. Is there anyplace I can just tell them what I have and they could help match these up?

Very sorry for all the questions. I've read a ton of threads on selecting wheels and the more I read the less I know. lol...I'm just looking for a classic hot rod chrome look. I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have a local shop that can really help me with this.

It looks to me like a big and small set up...meaning wider in the back...but same overall diameter. At first I thought they where Crager SS five spokes...which are super common and really easy to find. But, the center caps look unlike Cragers though. There are several rims like Keystone's that look almost identical. Whatever the wheels are, it does not look like the ride height has been changed or even that any exotic or custom spacers are used. IMHO...if you are thinking about setting up your Riv with something custom and retro but not slammed or radical, I'd check out somebody like Coker. They sell all types of tires, but rims too and you can actually talk to somebody who knows cars. They can sell you a package that will likely bolt on and get the look you are after. They are not cheap, but there will be less squawks. I'd avoid getting wheels, then tires from various sources...chances are good you'll end up with some expensive parts that are incompatible without lots of headache. Just my opinion. PRL

In my experiences with tires and wheels, you should be able to find someone in your area who is willing to work with you and mount different tires on different wheels to let you see the look and check clearances.

A friend of mine has 17" wheels on his '65. The shop he bought them from had a tool that mounted to the axle/hub. Then by adjusting the different arms, they could determine the diameter, width, offset, and backspacing of the wheels, and the sidewall and aspect ratio of the tires that the car could handle. That information was then given to the wheel mfg. and the wheels were custom made for his application.

It's something like this. You can figure out tire staggers and front/back widths without any hassle. Surely a custom tire/wheel in your area has something similar.

Amazon.com: Percy's High Performance 01201 WHEELRITE WHEEL & TIRE: Automotive

Here's a video of how it works.

http://v8tvshow.com/content/view/142/223/

As was said previously, take your time, spend a couple of extra bucks, and do it right the first time. It costs less in the long run than trying to get your money back by trying to sell the wrong wheels on Craigslist. One thing the video doesn't mention is that when you measure for clearance, your springs need to be compressed to ride height. If your car is on a lift and the suspension is hanging down, you'll not get a correct reading.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest FrostByghte

Thank you both...I have someone that would work with me for tires, but there is no one in my area that will work with wheels. There is only one shop locally that I am aware of that has wheels and they were fairly clueless when I went in and spoke with them. I am hoping to find a place on the net to work with me. I'll try and contact someone at Coker.

As far as I can tell, my car is fairly stock in the wheel/lift department. I know some new springs were put in at one point but apparently they went for stock. I wouldn't mind a wider back tire, but I am in no way interested in doing any heavy modification. Something that just bolts on is the ultimate goal here.

These are Ameriican Racing 200S polished wheels. Go to newstalgiawheel.com can't do a link from my iPad in the airport, but can get you one later today when I get home. These guys will work with you and can make complete wheel and tire packages delivered to your door. Check them out on the web or give them a call.

These are also known as Daisy Wheels. Introduced in 67 or 68, been on a lot of hot rods over the years. Old ones had painted centers only. Polished was introduced in the 90s. Here is the link; Newstalgia Wheel, American Racing Wheels, Boyd Coddington Wheels, Billet Vintiques, Colorado Custom Wheels, Cragar Wheels, Bonspeed Wheels, Foose Wheels, Radir Wheels, TQ Chrome

post-53315-143138959443_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138959445_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad
These are also known as Daisy Wheels. Introduced in 67 or 68, been on a lot of hot rods over the years. Old ones had painted centers only. Polished was introduced in the 90s. Here is the link; Newstalgia Wheel, American Racing Wheels, Boyd Coddington Wheels, Billet Vintiques, Colorado Custom Wheels, Cragar Wheels, Bonspeed Wheels, Foose Wheels, Radir Wheels, TQ Chrome

Those are nice ! Always liked those...

• 2 years later...
Guest classiccarmadness

Little late on the conversation, new member, but I have a 63 Riviera and I like those rims also. What I'm looking to do is more of a low profile and wider stance. The original rims and tires, I feel, are swallowed up in the inner fenders. I have a set of old Cragar SS in 15" but I think a 17" would fill the inner well much better. One tire company suggested to me a 17x8 in a 225 or 235 50 17 tire. Can I get some feedback from you guys. Is it possible that I can get away with using my 15" Cragars?? and if so what kind of bigger tire and size would look good? I copied the newstalgiawheel site from you Steve, sounds like a good reference. I still would like some feedback though. Just to throw it out there I also have a used Dyna flow transmission from my 63 Riviera for sale if anybody is interested. Bryan

Here are some Cragar 5 on 5 17"X 8.5" that I put on my Chevy. They have 255-50 Nitto Invo's on them, stock size for the Chevy. Someday when the new paint is on the Riviera I may slide them on. I understand that Cragar does not make the 5X5 anymore. These were new and came from a speed shop close out in New Jersey.

I get stopped a couple times a week in parking lots and asked about the wheels, of course I'm in the redneck part of New York. The county just south of me has more cows than people. I'm pretty sure the wheels wouldn't cut it in the metro NYC area, too small.

post-46237-143142663849_thumb.jpg Bernie

post-46237-143142663838_thumb.jpg

post-46237-143142663846_thumb.jpg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I have 783 Riviera pictures in my Riviera file. About half and half with stock and non-stock wheels. None with Cragar SS wheels on them. My tires are 235/55/17 and 255/55/17. They fill up the wheel wells nicely. I like a tall tire on a Riviera. Too short and the wheel wells just look oversized.