fuel gauge

Guest 41 sedanette

Guest 41 sedanette

hi i own a 41 buick series 46s sedanette, i live in the uk so i feel isolated out here with my buick.. my gas gauge fuel gauge reads full all the time when the ignition is on but drops to empty when ignition off, so do i need to check the sender unit first , and if so do i need to remove the tank to get at it ?. Any help please.. kev in england..:cool:

It sounds like the wire to the gas tank has shorted out. You can check this by disconnecting the wire from the tank sender. If the gauge acts the same, it has a short. If the gauge does not move, it must be a faulty gauge sender in the tank.

If it is a bad wire, and you can't find where it is chafed or shorted, the easiest repair might be to run a new wire from the gauge to the tank and disconnect the old one.

Guest 41 sedanette

hi rusty , thanks for the info, iv been under the buick and the wire looks bad, DO i need to drop the tank to get at sender, i know its a silly question.. was just wondering if theres an access panel some where?.. ok thanks ill let you know how i go..

I don't know that particular car but would be amazed if you could access the sending unit without dropping the tank. Also a good time to clean out the tank while you have it out and can peer down the sending unit hole. Drain the tank before you try to remove it, of course. Good luck!!

Guest bofusmosby

I believe that on my 37 Pontiac, if I were to take the wire from the tank and shot it out, the gauge will read empty.

If the gauge reads full with the ignition on and empty when off as the questioner states, then it must be shorted not open.

Some cars had an access to the gauge sender under the trunk floor mat. On Chryslers there was a big rubber plug that could be pried out, directly above the gauge sender. GM usually did not have this feature but it can't hurt to roll back the carpet and look.

Guest 41 sedanette

hi my buick has no carpet or mat in the trunk and iv looked already for any sign of a hide away panel or plug..:( so guess ill be taking the tank out this weeknd amongst other jobs ha.. thank u all for your help,, ill let u all know how i get on.. cheers... kev ENGLAND...

ps

anyone know how i could locate a front and rear bumper for my buick? 41 sedanette.. its been stood 40 year and some one has fitted 38 buick bumpers to her,, they look SO LOST on the car. thanks..

Guest 41 sedanette

hi bill thanks , today i did just that, i removed the tank and removed the sender. i found the fault, BAD EARTH, i earthed the sender to the car body and the gauge read empty etc i moved the float up and down and it read accordingly to the position of the sender..works fine.. just need to make sure the tanks earthed properly when i put it back.. thanks to all who replied to this post, thank u for your help.