Part needed for 1941 Buick56C

Guest 1941Buick56C

Guest 1941Buick56C

Folks,

I am looking for a spare part for my 56C. The original part broke off, not sure how and why. It looks like it is made from pot metal and I am not sure, if it can be repaired at all. This part is mounted o to the driver door window shaft and moves back and forth as the window is being operated. I am trying to attach a few pics of the part but somehow I am not able to see them in my post.

Thank you in advance for any leads you may be able to provide. If someone has a spare that would be ideal.

Best,

Jan

Edited by 1941Buick56C (see edit history)

I have a '41 Roadmaster and I can't figure out what that part is either. Is it inside the door, hidden by the door panel? I can't think of anything that moves back and forth as the window is raised or lowered. Wait! Does it lay on top of the door and lay down to cover the hole at the rear of the window when the window is down? And then ride up to a semi-vertical postion when the window is up? If that is the part, chrome plated, it will be very hard to find I think. Fortunately, the left that part off on the '39 Special, even though the '38 and '40-48 had it.

Jan,

Your pictures look like the chrome plated "flipper" device used to cover the opening in the door when the window in lowered. This part is also used on 1941 Cadillac convertibles and perhaps other GM makes of that period. Please be advised that the flipper for a convertible coupe is a different length than a convertible sedan when looking for a replacement. I think that this part is being reproduced.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138945622_thumb.jpg

Guest 1941Buick56C

Thanks folks - here is another pic from the same part on the passenger side. Grandpa is right!

post-73621-143138945783_thumb.jpg

Jan,

Another option is to "weld" repair your part. Any good welder, especially a boat prop repair shop can "weld" pot metal. It' kind of a cross between welding and soldering, done @ low temp w/ an aluminium/tin/zink alloy, but it works..

You will have to replate the part, but any chrome shop can do that.

Just another idea for you, before you spend a lot of $$$ on a replacement / replica part.

Mike in Colorado