1939 Steering Shaft Worm Gear

Guest Grant Magrath

Guest Grant Magrath

Well, my father picked up the steering box with the new worm gear today. We have an early 39 with the bobtail frame, small wiper trans, etc, and the 19-1 steering ratio? Allan may be able to answer that one! The upshot is, we now have access to a supply of worm gears if anyone needs one. The down side is that they're not cheap, and only for early 39's. The gear is quite a complex one to make apparently, but we've essentially worn the development costs, which means they'd be around $750, rather than the $1000 we forked out. So, if you're stuck, there may be a solution!

Cheers

Grant

Is that NZD$750 = USD$615

Your other thread here http://forums.aaca.org/f165/pitman-shaft-bushing-steering-worm-gears-322417.html

my post 4 from that thread

In 1939 there were 2 steering box versions for series 40-60: each has different ratio

Steering ratio 19.0:1 (RHD) changed to steering ratio 17.5:1 (RHD) at frame 13439464

Would need to check the documentation but guess LHD is the same

I thinks yours is an early short chassis so 19.0:1 (assuming it has not changed in the last 70 years)

More cars would have made been with the 17.5:1

At one time I had NOS Buick kits for both the early and the late; if it's what I'm thinking of. It has sort of a little wheel as part of it? I think I used the later one, but never the early one. I'll have to go and look in the bins. You guys are really great '39ers over there. I always felt a little like a loaner among Buick guys with my specific love for 39 Specials and to some degree Centurys. By the way, we're coming along great now with the '39 Special convertible coupe. It is Lassen Green and will have a dark red interior, just like it came from the factory. It's almost back together now and will go to a high profile upholstery shop in Sarasota, FL around mid-May.

Guest Grant Magrath
Is that NZD$750 = USD$615

Your other thread here http://forums.aaca.org/f165/pitman-shaft-bushing-steering-worm-gears-322417.html

my post 4 from that thread

Thanks Allan! I knew you'd be the man! My memory is shocking.Those prices are in USD, sorry! As far as the other ratio goes, I seem to recall my father saying that once they hade made the 19-1 prototype, they can easily adjust the tooling to make a 17.5-1 one, but I'd have to check.

Earl, great to hear from you. You're never alone as long as Team 39 is around! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we'd love to see some pictures. It sounds beautiful.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Pretty good. I was going to get a few shots yesterday, but I didn't bring my camera! I've got rugby today, and a I have to teach some 1st year broadcasting school students tomorrow, but Tuesday should be ok.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Pretty good. I was going to get a few shots yesterday, but I didn't bring my camera! I've got rugby today, and a I have to teach some 1st year broadcasting school students tomorrow, but Tuesday should be ok.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Here are the pictures of the old worm and roller.

385587_3780594911663_1180632791_33667967_1529218991_n.jpg

578322_3780596031691_1180632791_33667969_957349442_n.jpg

You can see where we had to repair the worm as best we could when we put new thrust bearings in a couple of years ago. Pretty rough!

Cheers

Grant

The worm with the wheel on it is the ones I had NOS. What I had were kits. My conv coupe is a second job, built in July 1939, and I put the second style kit into that car. I think I have the early one still in the bins, and that would fit my 39 convertible sedan, built in Nov 1938. I also have a used steering shaft here that I hope I never need. Yes, Mr. McGrath, you're the man.

Guest Grant Magrath

Cheers Earl.

It's nice to have a good supply of bits like axles and other consumables. It's nice if you can help other guys out as well!

Grant

Grant, With three 39 Buick Specials, and one odd-ball that I fixed up as best I could and then sold, it's a good thing that I kept all of the '39 parts when I was buying and selling NOS Buick parts from dealers attics back in the 1970s. This last car, though, has just about cleaned me out. I offered to sell a 39 Buick guy who was advertising the need, a good useable, but not NOS or perfect dome light assembly for what I thought was a fair price, and he wanted all kinds of pictures and stuff. I just put it back into the goody drawer. When I finish my convertible coupe I'll do an inventory and sell off some stuff that I think I'll never need. Unfortunately you never know what you'll never need. I just had to install a NOS rear propeller shaft. I think I only had the one, and probably threw away some good used ones when I moved to Florida. It was a part I could never imagine wearing out. I knew the front shaft wears out badly, but the rear one is pinned to the pinion gear. But, over 72 years that pin wore and the shaft wallowed out the splines. Now I'm looking for another spare rear propeller shaft myself, in case I outlive another one of those shafts. I'm 73 now, but I want to keep my three 39's for as long as possible. I am going to sell the '41 Roadmaster if somebody wants it. It's time to cut back some, and that includes some of the parts I still have. I amost never throw out used parts. I can remember back in the 1960s and 70s when guys were restoring used up parts for 1920s cars because there were no more new ones. For example, I've got a big box full of 39 used voltage regulators, waiting for somebody who needs them to rebuild. Experience tells me you can't have enough NOS voltage regulators for these cars. The same is true of clutches. I've got a bunch of used 1939-53 clutch pressure plates, and some used clutch discs. If you need anything, I'm always happy to see if I have a part I can spare.....but it's getting to be real slim pickings for NOS parts now.

Guest Grant Magrath

Danny, the bearings were done when we first got the car back on the road, and the pitman bushings (for our American friends!) and shaft seal are new, so yeah, with your pitman shaft and new worm, it should be like new! I have no idea why it should be so bad. The seal must have worn early in the car's life and all the lube must have been gone for ages. The bearings were knackered and hard to find, but although Bob's didn't list them, they actually had some, which was great! The only thing to replace in the steering now would be the drag link, and maybe the tie rod ends, although they seem fine.

Earl, the beauty of this forum is the great friendships that develop all over the world between gentlemen with a common interest in preserving fine automotive history. And men like yourself who offer their years of experience to others. Between us, I'm sure with our cumulative knowledge and parts, we can keep this hobby strong for the next generation!

Cheers

Grant

Danny, Hmm, I can only think of ten '39s this morning. 1. sidemounted, leather upholstered sedan, 1955, 2. plain Model 41 ($15), 1957, 3. plain Model 41 ($40) 1959, 4. plain Model 41, turned into exact copy #1, 1963; 5. plain Model 46C ($350) 1967, sold 1969 ($500); 6. plain Model 41C, 1970, sold 1985, repurchased 2000; 7. plain Model 66S 1989, sold 1993; 8. inoperable plain Model 41 parts car, 2002, junked 2005; 9. plain Model 41 2003, partialy restored, sold 2010; 10. plain Model 46C bought 2005, almost restored now. So that is only ten, plus my Dad's '39 Model 41 that he owned from 1941-1951; so I guess that makes eleven. Add to that my Uncle's Model 41 that he owned from 1939-1947 is about the only way I can make an even dozen, unless I forgot one.

Grant, does your 46S have a toe board in the rear area behind the driver's/passenger's seat?

I've just realized as I approach upholstering that there is no toe board (foot rest) in my '39-46C. It just looks like it's missing something. However, when I ordered carpet from Jenkins, they didn't send any carpet for a toe board. There is a rail that I guess you could put your feet on, and also the jump seats are so low that I believe only a child could actually use them comfortably. It looks like a two adult car to me. I know a man in Minnesota who owns a '39-46C that is restored, so I guess I'll call him today with that question.

Grant, I do have an old steering column, but there is no steering box on the end of it. I bought it off of a street-rodder to get the perfect steering wheel it had, and now I can't remember if it had a steering box then or not. The mechanic may have used it on my 46-C, because he did rebuild the steering box with my NOS kit. He had to remove the steering column to do what he did.

Danny, in addition to the '39s I've owned a '32-67; '35-41; '36-46; '38-61; '41-90 & 91; '41-71C; '42-51; 1947-41 & 46; '48-41; '49-51 (2); '51-48; '56-46R; '58-41 (2); '62 Invicta conv; '64 Riviera (wrecked bought for parts to sell); '65 Electra conv; 1969 Electra conv; '71 Riviera (3); '72 LeSabre coupe; '74 LeSabre sedan; '77 Electra coupe & Riviera; '80 Century sedan; '88 Skylark Quad 4; '93 Century; '91 Park Avenue; '95 LeSabre Limited; '98 LeSabre Limited; 2001 Park Avenue; 2005 Park Avenue. Do I qualify as a real Buick nut? Some of these were for my kids, the '91 inherited from my Dad.

Oh, I forgot one, a '48 Roadmaster sedanette. That was a good car somebody had fixed up with a bad paint job, but my wife complained the doors were too heavy, and it wa super hot on the floorboards in hot weather.....gee, how could I forget that one?

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Earl, our coupe is a business one unfortunately, so no toe board. The steering column (mast jacket) has remained in the box so far. Today is ANZAC Day (Australia and New Zealand's version of veterans day) so I'm expecting a call to put the steering box back in soon!

Cheers

Grant

Probably not the place but I'm sure Grant wont mind slipping this into his post today.

A little something for us ANZACs :

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

LEST WE FORGET.

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath

Nice Danny. Thankyou! As Rommel once said when asked what it would take to for him to win in Africa, "give me a division of ANZACS."

Cheers

Grant

Guest Mike Hanning

Hi Grant,

The steering gear you have had made is of no use to our American friends as the RHD and LHD are different - mirrored versions of each other.

Best regards,

Mike Hanning

Christchurch NZ

Guest Grant Magrath

Yeah, our car was a Californian one that was living in Colorado when we bought it about 4 or 5 years ago Mike. You'll have to pop around to Burwood and have a look!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Mike Hanning

Thanks for the invite Grant, shall do.

There should be a market in the land of LHD for such a beautifully crafted steering shaft reproduction.

Best regards,

Mike H.

Guest Grant Magrath

No worries Mike. They're there if anyone needs them! If you want to check the Buicks out, call my father, Peter, on 3870 870. He knows who you are as he follows the forum.

Cheers

Grant