Canadian GM Cars question

X-Frame

Part of our book concerning x-braced / cruciform design frames focuses on the much used and controversial General Motors tubular X frame introduced in 1957. By 1965 all of their cars in the United States had quit using this (except Buick Riviera). Pontiac quit in 1961 but in Canada, it continued until 1964.

Question... why?

I also understand there were other that used the X while not so in the States - like Holden built Chevrolets of the 1930s or something like that?

Any help on this... thanks!

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

The only reason I can think of why GM Canada retained the X frame is cost. The Canadian market had very few performance optioned cars in the early 60's. {409's etc.} So the somewhat more flexable X frame was serviceable. 6 cyl. and 283 2bbl. cars don't generaly get pushed too hard, so GM could get a few more years out of an obsolete design. The typical Canadian new car buyer was more often a middle age famialy man. The "youth market" that was a substantial part of the U.S. new car market was probably driving a 7 or 8 year old used Austin or Morris in Canada.

All the best ,Greg in Canada

Canadian Pontiacs were basically Chevrolets in Pontiac suits. They were built on Chev frames with Chev engines and were smaller than US Pontiacs. They did not get the wide track chassis. It stands to reason they would use the X frame as long as Chev did.

Rusty is correct that is the reason, Canadian Pontiacs always used Chevy chassis. Obsolesence, engineering or flexibility had nothing to do with it--a 1962-64 Chevrolet used an X frame and that is what a Canadian Pontiac also had.

The Canadian Pontiac's did indeed use the Chevrolet chassis and engine/trans combo's as well. The bodies were smaller than the U.S.A. version also. My old '64 Parisienne had a 409 with a PowerGlide. You can easily spot one from a distance as the track is the same as Chevrolet, not the famous "Wide Track" stance. The frames were well known to rust badly and break just past the rear axle/coil spring mounts. Resulting in the drooping rear.

I've always found Canadian versions of US cars fascinating. Pontiacs prior to 1955 used Chevy bodies with modified Pontiac grilles to fit the Chevy opening. They used Pontiac dashes and had silver streaks, but were pure Chevrolet right to the taillights. Not only did the early 60's Pontiacs have Chevrolet chassis and running gear, they also had Chevrolet steering wheel and steering columns with the shift quadrant on the column rather than the dash.