recommissioning 40 110 coupe

Guest jim rosenthal

Guest jim rosenthal

I have agreed to buy a '40 110 coupe which was PPI'ed by a qualified man who approved it. This car is in MI and was restored a decade or two ago- it has been driven very little since that time. It seems to run and drive acceptably well, although he was not able to take it on the highway.

I assume the process of recommissioning the car for frequent pleasure use would include changing out all the fluids and filters, and greasing it. It will also require new tires from what Dave tells me. Since this is my first Packard, and the first one in our family since the fifties, is there anything peculiar to Packards or to this model to which I should pay particularly careful attention? I have had collector cars for quite a while, but not this make.

Any advice gratefully received, as well as advice about good places to buy parts and so forth. I have a lot of experience with Mercedes, and Ford, but not Packard.

I'd want to thoroughly check the entire braking system and the tires. A blown out tire would be a nightmare. Don't forgot they can also rot out inside the tire. Good luck on your coupe. I've been looking for one for awhile and haven't had any success.

As stated above I flush the brakes and check for any leaky cylinders around. You may want consider pulling the brake drums, and greasing the wheel bearings, unless your confident the restoration was done to excellent grade.

I know the master cylinder stick of the car set for more than year without driving. it takes a tap on the side seen to solve the problem until it sits to long again. Given I work all over the world, it unfortunately site considerable in storage. Probaly do for brake rebuilt to on the safe side, of a least a good flush

Edited by packards42 (see edit history)

Jim, if you can get hold of the videos of DIY Classic Car Restoration by Mark Lambert, he walks you though a complete check of a 1938 Coupe and I think you will find it very helpful. I don't know how you can get a copy but I have heard of a couple floating around.

Wes

Guest jim rosenthal

Thanks to all!! A couple of other questions, if anyone has time for them:

-all my other cars are postwar, fairly recent; what would be the correct type of engine oil for a 1940 Packard six?

-any thoughts on what tires to buy? evidently it needs new ones, and I could use suggestions on what to get and where to get them. Can radials, if they are available in the correct size, be used on a car of this era?

-any suggestions (positive ones, that is) on good sources for parts gratefully received.

Thanks to all, again, for all the help.

I use Shell Rotella T 15w-40w for all my Packards.

I have radial (Diamond Back) tires on my '50 and Bias Ply on the '49. The radials don't look absolutely 'correct' and can make steering more difficult when the car is not moving, but do provide for a superior ride (in my opinion). The Bias-ply tires look better (period correct) and if the suspension is in top condition ride just fine. If you plan on entering your car in Packard competitions, I don't think you would want to go with radials. If it's just for your enjoyment, then the choice is yours.

Parts that are not Packard specific, e.g., distributor caps, rotors, spark plugs, radiator caps, oil filters, etc. I like NAPA. Generally much less expensive than the Packard specific vendors.

For parts that are unique to Packard there's Max Merritt, and the Kanter Bros. among others.

I highly recommend PackardInfo.com as an excellent source of information, free documentation, and advice as well as a list of vendors specializing in all things Packard.

I did a radial/bias ply comparison on a pair of prewar Packards: 1940 One-Eighty and a 1942 One-Eighty. Basically identical chassis, and both with completely rebuilt front ends.

No difference in handling qualities. The only difference I can think of that make the radials better, is in stopping.

Based on observations of others who have done similar comparisons with postwar cars, I have come to the conclusion that radial tires improve the rides of postwar cars better than prewar cars.

Guest jim rosenthal

No kidding. I appreciate the help. When I get her here, I'll post photos. Thanks to all.

Funny, Rotella 15w-40 is what I run in my marine diesels. I've got some of that around. It does have a high ZDDP level, I am told.