coarse thread bolt strength

fordmerc

1/2-13 would work but you can get the correct bolt from McMaster-Carr in one day for under 20 bucks. If you want to order a sandblaster or a lightbulb or a hinge or a hammer or a sheet of leather or a pound of lard they can get that to you just as quickly. Love those McMaster folks.

P.S. Don't ask them to ship high powered magnets to another country though, they won't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cben09

Just curious,,,,Does the local hardware store not have 1/2" bolts in course and fine,??

Erie was a strong industrial ctr,,,Lowell Ma,,weaving and machine shops,,still has an outstanding hardware,,5stories,,McKittericks,,since 1870?? an the floor still creeks,,Ben

Unfortunately, Erie's heavy manufacturing is mostly gone, replaced by highly specialized "light" industry. Hardware stores where knowledgeable people supplied "everything" including less-than-common items have gone the way of heavy industry; even now, the rare remaining family businesses supply only what is available through franchise suppliers. Bottom line: I was unable to find any 1/2" carriage bolts in the local market, other than crude coarse threads; I am too parsimonious (cheap) to buy just one bolt from sources that are available elsewhere in the country and that was really why I asked the question in the first place in order to work with what I had available.

Guest cben09

Now that the old guys have [been] retired,,,,,Look for the nice hand built tool box at the yard sale and flea markets,, Some of that old stuff is classic,,,

Granger has just printed a new catalog,,,if there is one local,,,get one before they all go,,,

Soon on line only,,,,will this be last paper copy for us old geezers???

Sorry we don't have that part unless you have part number,,!!

This servace based economy ain't workin,,,sorry,,Cheers,,Ben

// Assume the machinery has been auctioned??? Scrap at all time hi,,and ship at Portsmuth Nh bridge,,loading REG/Shanghi,,,