It's ALIVE!!!

keiser31

Oooo... OUCH! :(

Time for that new wiring harness you were considering. ;)

I made a new wiring harness. Seems that the only wire I failed to replace was a braided cloth wire. Don't know why I didn't replace it. Maybe because it looked so new. It rubbed against the metal oil line and "PFFFFFT"! Lesson learned.

Id like to see pictures of that Graham truck if they are available??

unfortunately that person wasnt going to sell it , was his yard art. i forgot also to take camera with me to take a picture of it. makes me very sad someone would do this

Jen

I have no idea where it is in relation to you but if it is local than a picture would be nice regardless of what its being used for. Thanks

Take good look at the oil line. You wouldnt want that to burst and make a mess.

Jack.....thanks for keeping on topic. I just bought another line for the oil. New will be better. The old one is history.

Never to be found on a Dodge, but when I removed the scuttle mounted fuel tank on an old Austin Seven, the reason for the burning smell became aparent. A live wire had been rubbing against the underside of the tank and had gone through!

You can do without that sort of thing. What's more, the recent rewire had been carried out by a so called auto electrician!

Ray.

Yesterday I took the car to the alignment rack, fixed a bunch of mistakes that the previous owner had done and took the car for a REALLY nice and smooth ride down the highway. It tracks beautifully! The previous owner(s) of the car had shims between the axle and springs. That's all well and good except for the fact that the shims were too thick and the spring center alignment pins did not mate up with the axle holes. Brought a whole new meaning to the term "floating axle"! Filled the shock absorbers/dampeners, balanced the wire wheels and lubed the whole thing. No more death wobble or bump steer. Looks like I will be ready to cruise on our local car club event on Sunday. YIPPEE!!!!

Yesterday I took the car to the alignment rack, fixed a bunch of mistakes that the previous owner had done and took the car for a REALLY nice and smooth ride down the highway. It tracks beautifully! The previous owner(s) of the car had shims between the axle and springs. That's all well and good except for the fact that the shims were too thick and the spring center alignment pins did not mate up with the axle holes. Brought a whole new meaning to the term "floating axle"! Filled the shock absorbers/dampeners, balanced the wire wheels and lubed the whole thing. No more death wobble or bump steer. Looks like I will be ready to cruise on our local car club event on Sunday. YIPPEE!!!!

looks like alot of fun to me , thank you for sharing

Jen

Think I have heared it all now! All my years working on cars, I have never seen that! What did they think they were doing? Was it obvious or did you have to investigate the problem to realise what they had done?

As I am always saying round here "if you want a job doing then do it yourself" !

Ray.

Think I have heared it all now! All my years working on cars, I have never seen that! What did they think they were doing? Was it obvious or did you have to investigate the problem to realise what they had done?

As I am always saying round here "if you want a job doing then do it yourself" !

Ray.

We pretty much had to investigate the problem. Saw that there were things amiss when looking at the axle prior to dismantling. Really discovered a few more problems once apart. The shock link bolts were loose....by about 3/4", the front wire wheels are bent and the shocks fluid in each one was about 1" lower than the filler holes. Luckily, the front end parts (steering box, drag link, kingpins and tie rod ends) are all fairly tight. That was a big relief.

the shocks fluid in each one was about 1" lower than the filler holes.

If there is a leak, will you be able to repair them? Could you say what type they are i.e. piston or vane? Just curious.

It's perhaps not a bad idea to remove the shocks from the car to top up ; clean the unit before removing the filler plug. While adding fluid untill it overflows, move the arm up and down to expell air. Replace plug and refit.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)