Calling all Smith, Briggs & Stratton MW and Auto Red Bugs

carmaven

IF you own or know of an owner with a Smith Motor Wheel powered bicycle or Flyer, Briggs & Stratton Motor Wheel powered bicycle, Flyer or Scooter or an Electric Auto Red Bug -

We are gathering as many of these vehicles as possible together at the Spring National Meet in Reading, PA, May 19th, 2012.

As of April 1 we have 5-6 Flyers, 5-6 Red Bugs and 1 Scooter committed. The goal is to have the largest number of these vehicles ever gathered for an AACA event. This will be a unique opportunity to share information and meet other owners of these vehicles.

Registration deadline is April 15th so hurry!

Guest Xprefix28truck

Many people don't know this little fact about the Teetor Hartley Motor Company. They sold their "railroad inspection cars" with Briggs Motor Wheels as their power source after they quit the manufacture of their one cylinder engines. When the first one was produced is very hard to say. I have a catalogue that was published when they were the "Indiana Piston Ring Company". I have attatched 2 photos from that catalogue. I also have a records book that continues thru 1933 when they were building the pedal style as well as the Briggs Motor Wheel powered style. The only recorded ones are in this records book. The records book starts September 18, 1931, and ended on August 22 1933. The first recorded Motor number is 1900590001. The last recorded motor number was 1900590014. Most were shipped to Belfast Ireland to the John Milliken Company. The records book was actually during the time they were call "Perfect Circle". So it appears that they offered the Briggs Motor Wheel powered ones for a very long time. Attatched are 2 pics from the sales catalogue that I own. The catalogue was done while Teetor Hartley was under the name "Indiana Piston Ring Company".

post-59090-143138915805_thumb.jpg

post-59090-143138915819_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 8 years later...