Seeking 1924 Light Six Parts Manual

Hi, I've been unable to find a parts manual for my 1924 Light Six. This was a popular car, so I'm sure there has to be one available. Does anybody have one they're willing to part with or know where I might purchase one? A PDF copy would be great as well. Does not have to be original.

Thanks,

Dave

Faxon sells the Light Six Service Manual (1920-1924) and some early price list catalogs, but I haven't seen a parts manual reprint. I offered to have Faxon make reprints of my illustrated parts catalogs that cover all the models from 1913 - 1925 but have yet to receive a reply. I hate to have the originals destroyed but I know there are a lot of people out there that would enjoy having the info. Is there something specific you need looked up? I can do that.

Scott

Hi and thanks for the replies. I have the reproduction service manual, but it doesn't give the parts breakdown I'd like to see when working on my car. At present, I need to to repair / replace the fan bearings. I've kept it greased but am now getting metal on metal "screetching" running down the road. I took the fan off the car in a matter of minutes, but the repair manual isn't very clear about how to pull it apart. Even so, I need to know what parts I need to repair it. There was no warning that there was a problem until it started making the noise. Spraying WD40 around the shaft (on the pulley side, away from the fan) helped, but it was short lived. Again, the grease cup was full. I'm not too mechanical, but believe whatever seals the end of the shaft must be worn.

This isn't the first time I've wanted a parts manual though. Wish I could find one. I called the Studebaker Museum in Southbend today and left a message. I also tried the Horseless Carriage Club's' Research Library, but the gentleman didn't have a reference for one. It's not critical, but as long as I have this car, it sure would be nice to have a good parts breakdown.

Thanks,

Dave

I have a reprinted parts manual for 1923 -24-25 that I bought from Studebaker International ,

Book 4 all models. It is 1 1/2 " thick.

It is not on their website or catalog but they may have some copies left.

These were originally reprinted by "Old World Press" but Ed bought them out.

Call them at 317 462 3124.

Robert Kapteyn

I'm glad someone made reprints at one time - hopefully you can get yourself one.

To remove the fan, just take out the two bolts holding the aluminum fan mount to the timing chain cover. The pulley and fan unthread from the shaft (one is left hand thread and one is right hand thread). Just unscrew it in the opposite direction it normally rotates. You can then pull the shaft out of the large bronze bushing that sits in the center of the aluminum mount and determine damage. I have a serviceable shaft and bushing if yours is too far gone.

The fan shaft is supported in the bushing. That bushing can be rotated (off-center) in the aluminum housing to produce the proper tension on the belt. The larger bolt that holds the aluminum housing to the timing chain cover also clamps the bushing in the housing once the tension is adjusted. CAREFUL though! There is a washer located in the split portion of that aluminum mount. If it is missing you will break the aluminum when you tighten the bolt. Make sure you don't lose that washer and it is in place upon reassembly.

The bushing holds a lot of grease so prepacking it is necessary before you reassemble, then you can use the grease cup to keep it lubed. Good luck.

Scott

smrdeza@power-net.net

Hi to Everyone and Thank You for your replies. I did as noted above and was able to pull the assembly apart. The grease cap was full when I bought the car and I keep adding more and screwing it down a few turns, but I was embarassed to find that the cavity was almost completely dry! Who knows how long it's been that way. Certainly a lot longer than I've owned the car. I assumed that it was full, given the grease in the cap. It was also obvious that the housing that holds the fan assembly has been repaired (where it tightens down). I wonder if it was never filled when that repair was done? Well, it's greased now and quiet at the moment, If I find it's still bad, I may take Scott up on the offer of the servicable shaft. (thank you for the offer)!!

In the mean time, someone from the Studebaker Museum replied to my email and is looking for a copy of the parts manual. I'll see if he has one. If not, I'll reply back, or call Old World Press, as suggested by Robert.

Again, thanks to all the replies and great information!

Dave