Install 98 3.8 l series 2 supercharger into 98 3.8 l buick reatta

Guest Klemat63

Guest Klemat63

Any one out there ever swaped a 1998 3.8l series 2 supercharger into a 1998 3.8 l reatta?...any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated...if you have info on either engine and compatability would be so helpful...thanks

Klemat63,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have moved your question to the Reatta Forum. You will probably have a better chance of finding an answer to your question here. Good luck!

You'd really be better off in my opinion with a series 1 supercharged in there. Much simpler and much less programming. 35 less HP, but it may be worth it to avoid the headaches.

I've got a series 1 3800 SC, with transmission, as well as a overhauled 3800 rebored to a 3900 with approx $3500 in engine work. The 3900 has all the brackets and supercharger to put it all together. Just needs to be done.

I may be willing to part with both of these. Let me know if you're interested.

P.S.

There was no 98 Reatta. I'm assuming you mean '90 or '89? If you had a '91, it would be super easy to do this swap.

Guest Klemat63

Yeah I am sorry...it was a 88... I am just doing some research for a friend and from what I am getting the computers in a reg engine and a supercharger series 2 need tweaked for a swap to be possible? I am correct with this assumption?...anything else special that would need done?

Guest Recian

Sinister performance LLC has done it. Gmtuners.com. theyre who id talk to. Theres also an extensive 3 page post about it if you look about 10 posts down on the forums list. Like NC said the series1 is a bolt on swap and simply requires sinister to reprogram your prom chip for about $150

Just to throw it out there. The series two can be controlled by the own computer with some retuning and swapping a few sensors. I am getting ready to swap in a series 3 (while still using the own computer). I would suggest by the questions you are asking, that you do the series 1 swap. Also either way you go I would stick with the oem computer so you do not lose the on board diagnostics. (You get to them by holding warm and off in the climate area) Thought I would throw it out there as alot of people donor know it it there.