numbers game on 38 special opera coupe

sawgrass

Hello , Guys. Another newbie here who recently became proud owner of this car,believe it to be quite original so it is a bit rough, got a good bit of work to do but before I get into more repairs I just wondered if somebody could give me a rundown on the numbers, found some, but if somebody might be able to help I would love to understand the history of this car. I'm new to this world of forums so please bear with me. Car is 1938 Mod 46-s(Sport coupe with opera seats?) Style 38-4427 Body 3575 Trim 400 (Tan Bedford Cord?) Paint 400 (IM 1674 Whistler Gray Poly) Engine # 43510360 (248c.i.?) Frame #13367124. Please and Thank You for help!

I suggest if you want details about the specific car, try to find the engine and chassis number. I am not sure if it is true for that year Buick, but the engine number might be on the pasanger side of block of a flat portion. The chassis number is likely on a small plate on the frame under the front fender.

Others may be able to give you full information as to the location of these numbers for that year Buick.

John

Congratulations Sawgrass. The engine number according to the table in the reference section on Team Buick's site shows this to be a 1938 engine. Go to Team Buick Team Buick and register (free), then scroll down to Buick Restoration and in the Buick Decoding & Identification section post this same cowl tag info and engine and frame numbers. Dave Corbin watches this site from time to time and he can decode your information and provide manufacture dates for the frame and engine to determine if they were born at the same time. Unfortunately there is no such thing as "matching numbers" on automobiles of this vintage, you just have to settle for date appropriate.

Post some photos of your new ride, we love pictures.

John V.

Oh, since your '38 is a Model 46S, it is a Special or Series 40 and would have a 248c.i. engine. I have a '39 Model 46 Business Coupe - same engine but no jump seats. Here is a site that can give you additional details on your specific make and model: Classic Car Database, Specifications, Dealers, Parts and Services for Antique Cars, Classic Cars, Vintage Cars and Muscle Cars

John V.

Hello , Guys. Another newbie here who recently became proud owner of this car,believe it to be quite original so it is a bit rough, got a good bit of work to do but before I get into more repairs I just wondered if somebody could give me a rundown on the numbers, found some, but if somebody might be able to help I would love to understand the history of this car. I'm new to this world of forums so please bear with me. Car is 1938 Mod 46-s(Sport coupe with opera seats?) Style 38-4427 Body 3575 Trim 400 (Tan Bedford Cord?) Paint 400 (IM 1674 Whistler Gray Poly) Engine # 43510360 (248c.i.?) Frame #13367124. Please and Thank You for help!

Sawgrass,

All the information noted by those prior to me is correct.

To add a few more things until Dave chimes in.

1. Body number 3575 is the 3,575th 46S body Fisher Body made out of the just over 5500 total (incl. Export). So Dave will put a date on it but I would venture to guess a Winter-Spring of 1938 Production.

2. The "4" in the beginning of the engine indicates this is a Special / Series 40 engine. The engine serial number 3510360 should fall between 3396937-3572652 according to the BCA judges manuals So this seems to indicate a later production car.

3. The"1" in the frame number indicates it is a Flint built car (not South Gate, CA or Linden, NJ). and the frame serial number 3367124 should fall between 3219848-3388547, so again this indicates a late production car, so I'll revise my estimate to Spring 1938 production.

If you haven't already heard we are having the 75th Anniversary Event for 36-38 Buicks at the 2012 BCA National Meet in Charlotte June 27-30, 2012. We are attempting to get one of each model for each year to the show. So far no 38-46S's are registered by I have a verbal commitment from an owner of one that he is coming. There are also two 38- Specials registered which would be good cars to take some photos of to help with your restoration. You should definitely plan on coming up if you can make it. Find more info here 2012 Buick Club of America 500 at Concord, NC National Meet.

Also there is a 36-38 Division of the Buick Club of America 36-38 Buick Club it is an excellent source for techincal information and parts and there is a website that has all the magazines and lots of tech info from the now defunct 37-38 Buick Club 1937 and 1938 Buicks www.1937and1938Buicks.com

Hope that helps.

Congrats on your new Buick! Check out the judging manual on this site, and buy reprints of the shop manual and Fisher Body manual on fleaBay or elsewhere. VERY useful. If that leaves you any money, there's also a reprint catalog of factory-authorized accessories that's fun to look through.

Great info folks, much appreciated. Sort of helps me believe it is totally original. I wondered but didn't think it would show the possible options, the car does have a radio (not working of course) and dual sidemounts. I figured in that day and age options would not be included in the numbers.

Great info folks, much appreciated. Sort of helps me believe it is totally original. I wondered but didn't think it would show the possible options, the car does have a radio (not working of course) and dual sidemounts. I figured in that day and age options would not be included in the numbers.

No the radio won't be found in the "numbers" any where. nor am I aware of any tattle-tale way to determine if it was there when it left the factory.

SOMETIMES "6W" would be found stamped on the firewall tag (like it is on my car) for factory dual sidemount cars, but this is not always the case. The only other way I have heard to determine if it was a factory 6 wheel car or not is to look in the trunk and the 5 wheel cars would have the factory shelf (for the spare wheel to sit under) and the 6 wheel cars would not, but I'm not sure if that holds true with the 46S and its fairly unique trunk.

Thanks, Brian. I checked and didn't have anything else stamped on my firewall tag and it does have a shelf in the trunk where you could possibly stuff the spare but I believe if it wasn't factory installed with dual sidemounts it must have been soon thereafter, the patina and fit sure make it looks like it has always been this way. Looks good anyways.

Thanks, Brian. I checked and didn't have anything else stamped on my firewall tag and it does have a shelf in the trunk where you could possibly stuff the spare but I believe if it wasn't factory installed with dual sidemounts it must have been soon thereafter, the patina and fit sure make it looks like it has always been this way. Looks good anyways.

Maybe it was dealer installed.

Sure would like to see some picture of your car when you get a chance to upload them.

Hello, Mark. I do plan on joining up with the pre-war division, just haven't got around to it, also tried to sign up with the 37/38 Buick group but didn't get it done. Also been trying to figure how to up-load some pictures,not quite what you would call a computer wizz but I'll get it eventually. Do have enough problems with car and hope to start some technical threads soon but don't want to ask to many questions too soon without trying to find out through some of the already published resources.