1960 LeSabre

Guest Rickcattis

Guest Rickcattis

ok, I will try to explain what was happening,

Bought the car today, driving home after about 4,5 hours of driving, we did fuel it up. While gassing up a hill, i could feel the motor was dying or choking like it wasnt getting enough fuel or bad spark, it was only for a split second, it happened later when just driving on a straight bit of road, and became more frquent, it was always for just a split second, pulled over, checked what I know about engines and Buicks ( which isnt much ) couldnt see anything, it idled fine, started no probs but it kept happening maybe ever 15 min ?????

Anyone have any ideas of where I should start ?

Also the fuel gauge doesnt work, didnt work when I bought it and the previous owner didnt have it ever working. I have a Mustang as well and tey had a common problem and it was nearly always the sender unit that sits in the fuel tank, is this a similar problem with the Buicks ? Or is this where I should start ?

Thanks in advance

Rick & Catt

There may be a strainer/filter on the pick-up tube in the tank. Drop the tank, clean it out and put in a new sending unit which includes the fuel pick up. I had this problem on a '57 Buick and it drove me nuts until I figured out the problem. It would run great for 15 minutes and then shut down. Wait 30 minutes and it would start and run great for another 15 minutes. The rust in the tank would take 15 minutes to clog the tank trainer and after 30 minutes enough would fall off to let the car run for another 15 minutes.

Guest Rickcattis

The car doesnt actually STOP, its like a cough. I know hard to understand, but the closest that I can get to is that the revs drop for about 1/2 second, to me it feels like its not getting the constant fuel, you know when you run out of fuel, that way the motor is when you put your fuel down, well this does that for 1/2 second then goes great till the next time, we drove 1 hour so its nothing major I hope .

If this happens only when you are accelerating it may be a weak accelerator pump piston seal. It could also be the beginning of fuel pump failure. If the car was used to non-ethanol gas and you are now using E10 it can mess up original rubber parts.

Guest Rickcattis

Nope, it happens also when you are NOT accelerating , like when you are driving at a constant spped :(

Does the radio work? Does the radio cut out when the car hiccups?

The problem could be electrical.

I had a 2003 Ford that had a problem like this beginning at about 14K miles. The car would go dead for an instant and then run normally. The radio and the lights would cut out when this happened.

No codes were left on the car and the dealer came up with nothing.

The problem continued until the factory battery needed replacing. With a new battery, the problem never recurred. It has been about six years. It has not happened gain.

I conclude that something was intermittently opening up or shorting out in the battery.

Good luck.

Guest Rickcattis

Yea the Original radio works but we didnt have it on as its only an AM radio and we cant get AM here in Sweden, but I will think about that next time I take her out

Thanks

Guest djohn81641

The gas gauage on my 60 didn't work for years. Finally I found out that is was the circuit board in the dash that had gone bad. I replace it and the fuel gauge started working again. This is a common problem for the 60. I also had the float in the tank rebuilt, but that did not solve the problem