Can you identify this grille?

Matt Harwood

So we just got this car in stock, and I'm trying to identify the various pieces and parts that went into it. The grille vexes me. I thought it was a mid-50s Desoto piece, maybe a Chrysler letter-series, but I can't find a stock example to positively identify it.

I know you guys will be able to identify it instantly, so have at it. Yes, I know it's a custom so I'm not advertising it here, but I want to accurately identify the various components. Admins, if it doesn't belong, I'm happy to remove it.

Thanks!

post-31138-143138863501_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138863506_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143138863509_thumb.jpg

Guest Jim_Edwards

Matt, I think that grille is one of those aftermarket custom grilles from the late 1950s or early 1960s. If I recall correctly one could order those things to fit a number of different grille openings on late 1940s early 1950s cars. A copy or two of ROD & CUSTOM magazine from that time period would likely have advertisements from two or three companies producing those things or similar.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Guess I need to attend some Canadian car shows.....:)

I am compelled to mention the application into the Mercury without all the surrounding bight metal trim has a much cleaner more attractive appearance than what it would have originally come from. Harley Earl at GM probably had an orgasm looking at all the chrome on that Monarch.:D

Excellent find, that is literally what it was. My "computer room" looks like a set from American Pickers meets Horders Buried Alive, and I found it in a box 2 feet from this keyboard, while searching for something else. PM has been sent. Bob

Guest Foggy norm

Thank's to Kieser31, I'll try to attach a pic. I knew I've seen the hubcap before, used by Coachcraft, more info.

post-73843-143138878001_thumb.jpg