Voltage Regulator and Generator HOT with car turned off!

Guest Jerrys 49

Guest Jerrys 49

Ok guys.. I know a few of you have been following my antics with my 1949 Roadmaster... well, I noticed today, that when I hooked up my battery to the 'ol car, the voltage regulator got hot, and the generator was getting warm! Now this was happening with the car OFF and the ignition in the OFF position! I have noticed some sparks coming from the negative battery terminal whenever I hook up the battery, so I was looking everything over today and was about to open up the voltage regulator when I noticed it was hot...

I remember some of the guys mentioning this in one of my previous posts, so perhaps I might be able to fix this problem by messing around with the points on the regulator?? I'm actually thinking this IS the problem of why my battery drains when the car is off overnight.

Jerry

1949 Buick Roadmaster 4 Door

In my experiance if the regulator cut out relay is stuck closed the current drain is gross as the generator tries to be a motor. I've seen it melt wires and start fires. Just saying...........Bob

Oh yes, and that too! Replace, or you may burn in the fires of....7734. Dandy Dave!

A friend of mine had a 1957 Chevy with a 4 speed try to go through the garage wall.

His regulator stuck and turned the gen into a motor and with the car in 1st gear, it went against the garage wall.

There is a fuse that you can put on the new regulator in case it happens again.