Teves brake system questions

Guest stschreib

Guest stschreib

Could anyone explain how the Teves ABS brake system works?

Could the Alternator play any part in have the brakes fail on me? I had the brakes fail twice last month where I had to press down on a hard brake petal with all my might to get the car to stop. The next day I was driving the car and the alternator locked up and I had to get the car towed back to the house. I replaced the alternator but I have driven the car very sparely and I would not allow my son the take the car to college with him for fear of the brakes not working. Would the alternator have caused this problem? it has not happened to me again but like I said earlier i have not driven the car too much since.

Also since Ive had the car, the green anti lock brake light comes on about 95% of the time... Is this controlled by the accumulator? or something else?

I would like to get this car back on the raod more but I have been afraid to drive it or let the kids drive it until I know the brakes are working properly. Thanks.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Doubt there would be any connection between the two. As long as there is enough electricity to power the ignition system, there was probably enough to power the electric brake pump.

You probably just need a new accumulator but you should run the tests to be sure.

Go here: Accumulator Test - ReattaOwner.com

How they work is here: Accumulator Function Explained - ReattaOwner.com

The accumulator can cause the yellow brake light to come on when you first hit the brakes... And possibly the red brake warning light as well. Driving with a bad accumulator can overstress the brake pump and cause it to fail. You should click on the link below and take the accumulator test on my website.

Accumulator Test*-*ReattaOwner.com

Accumulator Replacement Instructions*-*ReattaOwner.com

Accumulator Function Explained*-*ReattaOwner.com

Guest stschreib

Every time I step on the brake pedal, the pump goes on.... I guess thats saying the accumulator is bad? This would also cause the brakes to fail now and then?

What had happened last month was on one trip, the brakes failed when I tried to stop...it happened just once, the rest of day was fine, The next day on another trip, the brakes failed again and worked again after that...That same night I took the car out and I got 3 miles down the road when the car just died...Would not start. Had to get it towed home. Found later that the alternator had locked up...Bearing must be shot because the gear was very hard to turn. I replaced the alternator and have not had a problem since with starting the car or the brakes but I have only taken the car out about 5 times.

If the accumulator is bad, can I get one at my local auto parts store or do I have to order one special? Thanks.

The answer is the same as before about the brakes. Do the accumulator test to see if it is your problem. The best price for an accumulator can be found on my website in The Reatta Store.

The Reatta Store*-*ReattaOwner.com

You should also check the grounds behind the battery

Negative Junction Box Location*-*ReattaOwner.com

and check the battery cables carefully.

Battery Cable Repair*-*ReattaOwner.com

here is a link to Amazon.com they have the best price.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-25528382-Pressure-Accumulator/dp/B000C9LTRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330136572&sr=8-1

The accumulator is as easy as an oil filter to change (much easier than my Enclave)

You pump the pedal with the ignition key OFF until it get hard.

Remove and install new accumulator.

I did the accumulator test and the pump comes on every time I push the pedal down. Also test #2, the fluid level stays the same.
I would replace the accumulator. You may have other problems as well but the accumulator is the main cause of the pump running each time you press the brake as you describe. Your local parts house will not have an accumulator.

Guest stschreib

I received the new accumulator this week. Today is the first time I have had the change to try to install it. The old accumulator is stuck in there pretty tight....I'm guessing its rusted in place. I have tried wd40 for the last few hours and still it is stuck. How much force can I use trying to turn the old accumulator off? I dont want to damage the other existing parts of the brake system. Any tricks on getting it off? Or keep doing what Im doing? I have used a strap wrench also besides the alan keys...Thx

I received the new accumulator this week. Today is the first time I have had the change to try to install it. The old accumulator is stuck in there pretty tight....I'm guessing its rusted in place. I have tried wd40 for the last few hours and still it is stuck. How much force can I use trying to turn the old accumulator off? I dont want to damage the other existing parts of the brake system. Any tricks on getting it off? Or keep doing what Im doing? I have used a strap wrench also besides the alan keys...Thx

Make sure you've pumped the break pedal 25-30 times before you try to remove it.

Go to Sears and but the hex key set that has the 3/8" ratchet drive on the other end. You'll need the 8mm.

That should get it off for you.

The accumulator is just on there tight. It has an O ring for it to seal and is not rusted in place.

I use a standard Allen wrench and simply put some sort of a pipe extension on it. Sometimes I take a large screw driver or tire iron and use that to sort of hold the pump/motor from twisting too much while I am breaking it loose.

Marck is right, sort of. A new accumulator needs to be pumped about 25 times with the key off to relieve all the pressure in the accumulator but a shot one like you have might require 40 -45 pumps because it is so full of fluid and no nitrogen. Takes a lot of pumps to get all that fluid out.

Guest stschreib

I borrowed by friend 16 inch long ratchet with the allen attachment and it came off pretty easy after that. It was easier putting the new one on. Took about 60 - 90 secs for the new accumulator to pressurize.. I pumped the brakes they seem fine. The brake pump now comes on about every 6 - 7 pumps of the pedal. The Anti-lock brake lite is not coming on when I brake which is another good thing. I have to drive it around some more but I think this may have fixed my brake problem. I thank all of you for the advise given. Much appreciated.

Guest stschreib

Are old accumulators repairable? Or worth something to anyone, or are they just throwaways? If anyone wants it....