Dynaflow preparation 53 Super

WillBilly53

Okay, so now that I've got the rebuilt engine purring and broken in I want to prep the transmission. I had rebuilt years ago so it should be ready to go, right? But I'm nervous of putting it in gear and something going wrong and ending up a bunch beautiful dynaflow parts on the garage floor. I got the Dextron III waiting to be poured. Any advice or tips before I throw her in gear?

Will

Don't run the engine anymore until you put fluid in the dynaflow!! There are parts that are running without lubrication.

Put in 3-4 quarts, start the engine and pour in the remaining specified amount, checking the level when get near the end.

There are a lot of good engine first run procedures out there, but most do not address a first run on the transmission at the same time. Buy an extra 6-pack for that extra helper whose only job is to service the transmission.

Willie

Have you checked the stick. I'm surprised whoever built it would have drained it after the rebuild.

Good idea to check the stick, but most rebuilders return the transmission dry with only assembly lube on the parts. Only Mudbone fills and tests on the bench.:D

Will, you probably did little or no damage....yet.

Willie

Willie

lol, yikes!

yep, the stick is bone dry. The guy that did mine has a shop in Spartanburg, SC and his name is Lance Smith. I can't remember how I got his name, but I know it was on good recommendation. Apparently he was the only guy in my area that had even heard of Dynaflow. I had it done in 2003. Sad, I know. Anyways, I remember him also telling me to bring the car back to him for adjustments, once I got her drivable.

Good idea to check the stick, but most rebuilders return the transmission dry with only assembly lube on the parts. Only Mudbone fills and tests on the bench.:D

Willie

I don't know why I even reply to these type mechanical questions as I am 99.09% wrong. I need to just stay with my Girls on Buicks and other bull **** posts where I'm at least half ass right.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I don't know why I even reply to these type mechanical questions as I am 99.09% wrong. I need to just stay with my Girls on Buicks and other bull **** posts where I'm at least half ass right.

Me too.

Except I have never contributed to GOB threads other than drooling.

OK, for me I'll stick to the BS threads.

So the stock trans cooler I have is not up to par. I've been reading about aftermarket transmission coolers and was wondering what tips ya'll might have. I'm not concerned with stock appearance. I've seen some with fan motors and some without. I'd love to just by-pass the stock cooler all together (I've already plugged the lines at the water pump). The installation instructions for the new coolers I've seen show trans fluid lines going into the radiator, which indicates that it's for radiators with built in trans coolers. Whereas on the '53 the radiator only holds coolant and doesn't have a chamber for the transmission fluid. After much reading, I'm planning on mounting an aftermarket in front of the radiator. Do I need to purchase one with a powered fan or can I get one without a fan/motor?

Edited by WillBilly53 (see edit history)

I just put a trans cooler on my 51 Chevy panel with the Buick 455 and a turbo 400.

There was no extra room for a bigger radiator or cooler up front.

So I ordered a generic trans cooler from Summit racing; no fan.

My trans guy (who also built my race transmissions) said it would be perfectly

adequate even in high summer heat with no fan as long as outside air

was running over it...

I mounted it to the right and slightly

aft of the trans. under the floor board. Simple in & out connections. Works great even on a hot summer day.

They make all sizes. I think I paid about $70 for it w/ mounting hardware and connections.