1964 Riviera restoration pics

Mikesan

After 18 months since beginning this project the '64 Riviera is home. While not complete, it's driveable and all the lights work. This car belonged to my wife's aunt who bought it new in the L.A. area. They took it on a military tour to Japan and back to Calif where it's been it's whole life. Tried to keep as many parts as original as possible but with minor concessions to reliablility. Completely rebuilt the original motor and transmission, and put in a new exhaust from manifolds back. Has 78,216 original miles when I started and I've driven it about 50 since getting it last week. Still need to do the kick panels, a carpet kit for the trunk, and the Vintage Air install. Hoping to make it to Monterey for my first ever ROA meet.

post-70198-143138839333_thumb.jpg

post-70198-143138839352_thumb.jpg

post-70198-143138839619_thumb.jpg

post-70198-143138839639_thumb.jpg

The wheels are American Racing AR-500. 17 x 8 all around. I wanted the Buick Rally wheel look, but in a 17 or 18 size. I like these because they are aluminum so I don't have to worry about rust or chrome damage. I ordered thru Newstalgia and they had AR make them. AR only lists 4.5 and 4.75 bolt patterns and you know our cars are 5" so these were a special order. I used standard studs and no spacers, but the front wheels rub on the upper control arm so we had to grind that to allow for clearance. If I had to do it again, I'd have gotten 17 x 7 for the fronts. I think they were around $1375 for the set delivered. I put BF Goodrich Advantage TA 225/60/17 on front and 235's on the back. Wanted a smooth riding beefy tire to fill up the wheel wells. I have to say that picking the wheels and paint color were the hardest decisions on this project.

Don, I think these wheels were also mentioned in another thread because of their resemblence to Road Wheels. Snip of the web page is here. My wheels are special order also came from them, and I can say they were great to deal with.

Newstalgia Wheel, American Racing Wheels, Boyd Coddington Wheels, Billet Vintiques, Billet Specialties, Motorcycle wheels, Colorado Custom Wheels, Cragar Wheels, Bonspeed Wheels, Foose Wheels, Radir Wheels, TQ Chrome

post-53315-143138839919_thumb.jpg

I have not installed Vintage Air a/c in a Riviera but have Oldair.I went with Oldair because the unit is compact enough to locate just above the transmission hump towards the passenger side and you will still have a glove compartment.It is a tight fit to run the ducts but it does fit.Figured I throw in my 2 cents for you to consider.

OK Mike: You mentioned the Vintage A/c install. If your a/c unit is complete you might want to look into the R-12 repair. R-12 is now available at a much cheaper price and there is a bigger supply due to the fact that people aren't using near the amount on the pre-95 cars any more. I believe that people hoarded the stuff in large amounts when the 134 took over in the mid 90's. The other factor is that many components can stay as they are with the R-12, saving big bucks. A first-gen Riv a/c unit when working right really does blow ice cubes! Nice looking car by the way. Mitch

Mitch, thanks for the thoughts on the AC install. I've already bought the Vintage Air pieces and want to go ahead and use them. Will need to make some modifications to make it work, but should be worth it. Going to be discussing it with a shop tomorrow. Here are a few more pics.

post-70198-143138846328_thumb.jpg

post-70198-143138846349_thumb.jpg

post-70198-143138846367_thumb.jpg

post-70198-143138846385_thumb.jpg