1953 Ply split back glass ?

Guest directconnman

I believe (from what my library shows) that the Belvedere in 1952 and 1953 was the only model with the dividers in the rear window.

My library shows the same thing... the Cranbrook Belvedere were the only ones in 1953 with them and was the last year.

As for why, I am sure it was for those who preferred them and a carryover design from the 1940s but by 1953 were unpopular hence the last year.

Eric

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

Guest directconnman

Thanks guys , that was driving me batty . The car is new to me and will be learning as i go along . Nice to have you guys around with this great knowlegde . :cool:

Thanks guys , that was driving me batty . The car is new to me and will be learning as i go along . Nice to have you guys around with this great knowlegde . :cool:

No problem. Let us know if you have any other questions. I believe Ford called the rear window style a "Wind Split". I also have crash books that cover your car's year with part numbers, frame alignment charts, etc... if you need something answered.

Eric

No problem. Let us know if you have any other questions. I believe Ford called the rear window style a "Wind Split". I also have crash books that cover your car's year with part numbers, frame alignment charts, etc... if you need something answered.

Eric

Ford had the 3 piece rear glass in the 51 and 52 Victoria hardtop. Mercury had it in the 52 Monterey hardtop and the early 49 coupe. Wind split was the 1/4 panel rise leading to the taillight on the 49-51 models

Guest directconnman

Thanks Dave , good info ! Now i am thinking about my 51 pontiac 2dr hardtop that did not have the split but seems some did ? Dont remember if mine was a catalina . Funny how we wonder about those things now ...... i guess we were too busy with the girls to think about it then. Have a good one !

Ford had the 3 piece rear glass in the 51 and 52 Victoria hardtop. Mercury had it in the 52 Monterey hardtop and the early 49 coupe. Wind split was the 1/4 panel rise leading to the taillight on the 49-51 models

I don't think so... an ad I have in a book shows them as the rear window dividers and this picture below of them on a 1952 Ford Crestline Victoria also states they are Wind Splits.

post-68778-143138837899_thumb.jpg

I don't think so... an ad I have in a book shows them as the rear window dividers and this picture below of them on a 1952 Ford Crestline Victoria also states they are Wind Splits.

That pic is just one that you found on someone's Flicker page Flickr: Marty "Jet" Ford's Photostream

It proves nothing, other than the owner of the account chooses to call it a windsplit. Let's see the ad, that you have, where Ford uses the term windsplit to describe a 3 piece backlight

That pic is just one that you found on someone's Flicker page Flickr: Marty "Jet" Ford's Photostream

It proves nothing, other than the owner of the account chooses to call it a windsplit. Let's see the ad, that you have, where Ford uses the term windsplit to describe a 3 piece backlight

I will - have to bring the book to work to scan and will post tomorrow.

I also see what you are saying about other makes and what "they" call Wind Splits. Possibly Ford was using it in another context as in Wind Splits aka Split Windows and the dividers are the "splits"?

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

Chryslers had a wrap around rear window in 1951 and 52 with divider bars. I always thought it had to do with making the curved glass, it was easier to make it in 3 pieces it was so big and curved so sharp at the ends.

In later years they made much larger curved rear windows but in those days I think it was something new and untried.

I found the following reference to the shoebox Fords' 1/4 panel

The Shoebox Ford blog | 1949, 1950 and 1951 Fords | Page 13

<CITE sb_id="ms__id5520">shoeboxford.wordpress.com/page/13/</CITE>Cached<BUTTON class="gbil esw eswd eswh" title="Recommend this page" type=submit sb_id="ms__id5523" g:pingback="/gen_204?atyp=i&ct=plusone&cad=S3" g:undo="poS3" g:entity="http://shoeboxford.wordpress.com/page/13/"></BUTTON>

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

Did the 1949 Ford really begin life as a Studebaker design? The 1949 Ford .... They were now sculpted out of the rear quarter sheet metal to trailing “wind splits.

I also saw reference to Fendertops on a Porsche 911, 66 Mustang,3 chromestrips in the cove scoop and the hood of a 57 Chev Cameo pickup. Nothing about rear window divivers. We used to call them suspenders