Starter chain replacement

HBergh

I'm sure I have seen a article about tips and/or recommended procedure to replace the starting chain on an early '20's Dodge--but I can not find it. Maybe I dreamed its existence. I've searched all of the DB News magazines and this forum without any luck. If anyone has knowledge of such an article, please let me know. Thanks, Howard.

Hook the new one to the old one with the coupler and use the crank and very slowly feed it in and take the old one out as it comes around. A piece of baling wire on the free ends will keep you from dropping it into the engine.. There is no timing issue but the new chain must be tensioned properly acording to the Mechanics manual.. If you have removed the old one already , its a bit more tricky.. You must slide a yardstick in the st/gen opening and then slide the new chain on in and grab it with a hooked piece of wire and thread it thru.

Edited by platt-deutsch (see edit history)

Thanks everyone! I do have the Mechanics Instruction Manual and that book has the article I remembered seeing before! I did remove the old chain already because it was so mangled after it broke while the engine was running. I haven't carefully checked the sprockets yet for possible damage. I'm certainly glad that timing will not be an issue after the chain is replaced.