Rear Main Seal

Guest gunnar single

Guest gunnar single

I am reassembling my 1933, 201 Cu. IN. 6 Cyl. Dodge engine and am ready to install the rear main seal. The package I recieved for the seal assy. consists of 2 pieces of some type of rope material which needs to be cut to length, and 2 smaller black pieces which look like a h. I would like to know any tips on how long to leave the rope, installation tips, sealant type, and where the 2 black pieces go that look like an h. Are these pieces used on all applications or only on certain years? I am looking for all the info I can get my hands on as I don't want to end up with a leaker and have to pull the engine back out.:)

Good question Gunnar; it seems that an oil leak in this area is a common problem.

Previously on this subject, it has been suggested that black silicone be used as a sealant. I wonder if anyone has tried it and what were the results? If I understand correctly, the rear bearing seals were originally assembled using Shellac. Perhaps others can help you better than I can and I could also learn something here.

Ray.

I was under the impression that one did not cut the rope material... That you needed it all compressed into place to make a good seal.

One thing I wish I'd done was set up the engine on a pallet or other temporary framework and run it to check for leaks prior to installing it in the car. I've got a leak up front that will, I think, require pulling all the front sheet metal and the motor to get to. So far I've been living with it but it sure would be nice if the leak was not there.

I can only give advice based on what I bought for the 32 DL6 217ci engine which has the split rope style rear seal. I got the kit (BestGasket rear main seal #5583, Vintage Automotive Gaskets - Head Gaskets and Rear Main Seal Gaskets - Best Gasket) from Ron's Classic Car Gaskets (email: Hotwheels68442@aol.com) in 2008 but haven't installed it yet. It has everything you need including a knife, templates, etc.

Here's a scan of the instruction sheet in the kit to give you a general idea of what's involved.

45 years ago I replaced only the lower seal on my first DL6 without taking the engine out, and the leak stopped.

post-61720-143138829976_thumb.jpg