Replacing wiring harnesses..

Guest Jerrys 49

Guest Jerrys 49

I am contemplating on purchasing a new wire harness (engine/dash areas) for my 1949 Buick Roadmaster.. my car currently has the original cloth wires still intact, but the cloth is deteriorating being they are 63 years old!

Well, I've found some good shops for wire harnesses (YNZ, Rhode Island Wiring, Wire Harnesses Unlimited), but I am actually wondering how difficult it is to remove and install a new wire harness assembly for the engine area and under the dash area.

Jerry

1949 Roadmaster 4door

From a following directions stand point it's not at all difficult. From a laying on your back, trying to see, sweat stinging your eyes, dirt falling in your eyes, tools dropping on your face, trouble light burning your fore head, skinning your knuckles, getting off your back and out of the car a gazillion times, it's a hoot. Hint...........Remove the front seat completely before you even start. On the other hand it may be possible to remove the top of the dash on your car which makes things easier. Others will most likely advise about that possibility........Bob

Guest martylum

Jerry-I've installed a number of new wiring harnesses over the years and currently have the dash entirely out of a 53 Roadmaster and will go back with a new harness.

I've used several different harness manufacturers' products and found Rhode Island to have good expecially good installation directions.

If you can pull the dash or take the top off it will save you a lot of awkward working positions and speed up the job. I doubt if I could replace the 53 harness with the dash in place.

Hardest part for me has been figuring out which wires go on which connectors for a multiple connector switch such as the light switch. Be sure to replace or thoroughly clean all the heavier gage connecting leads such as battery terminal leads for brighter lights and easier starting. You will need a few special electrical tools such as a wire stripper with gage ratings, a good soldering iron, and a collection of shrink tubing and wire ends which are available from the harness supplier. Sometimes you need to unsolder and transfer special design leads from the old harness.

Gold luck on your venture.

Martin Lum

53 Buick Roadmaster

Removing the front seat does make the work a lot easier. Also, as Nartin Lum said, disassemble the dash where you can for access. It is a fairly easy job except for access to some areas. I believe the bottom left dash where the guages are is removable on the 49. I have done business with Rhode Island Wire and found their product to be of excelent quality and the people there to be considerate and helpful.

Jerry-I've installed a number of new wiring harnesses over the years and currently have the dash entirely out of a 53 Roadmaster and will go back with a new harness.

Martin Lum

53 Buick Roadmaster

Hey Martin,

I am curious as to how you remove the dash on a 53? I thought they were welded in. Pull the winshield, trim, drill out the spot welds?

Rick in Michigan

I know absolutely nothing about wiring. When I did my 54 Skylark I used Harnesses from YNZ's. Gene and Brian were invaluable with help and support after the sale(which was 15 years ago!!). Everything in the car works as designed, and it was amazingly easy with no soldering or cutting necessary. Plug and Play!!!!

Highly recommend YNZ's

steve apter

54 Skylark Body no. 793

Guest martylum

Rick-the 53 Skylark or Roadmaster dash is definitely bolted in. It's a fair amount of work to remove but we are doing a total restoration and the dash needed a complete repaint plus dent removal and all instruments refinished so out it came. This dash has the special checkerboard Skylark trim.

Martin Lum

53 Roadmaster

I used YNZ for my 53 convertible and highly recommend them. I removed my dash, restored it and instrumentation while it was out. It is bolted in all right. Several ponts at each end and around perimter of windshield. My windshield was out until after re-installation of dash, so made it easier, but still a pain. I had no problem routing the wire cables or hookup using YNZ instructions. Again I was doing it in an open convertible, but also with hydroelectric window, seat, and top hookups to contend with. I am glad I did it, and for a show car, it's really worth the time and expense I think.

Bill

Hint...........Remove the front seat completely before you even start. On the other hand it may be possible to remove the top of the dash on your car which makes things easier.

I purchased a complete wiring harness for my '53 from Y n Z's and can't stress enough Bob's suggestion of removing the front seat. I did the same as others have mentioned also in reference to removing the dash and instruments for restoration prior to installing the wiring harness. Pretty happy overall with Y n Z's quality and fit.

I know you fellows are discussingdifferent cars and wiring harnesses, but I am trying to figure out how to remove the dash on a 1948 Desoto S-11. Can arness from nyone help me with this. I have bought my have bought my harness from Wiring Harnesses Unlimited and have labeled everything according to their list/legend to make it easier, I hope. I just need to know how to remove the dash and I am going to cut the wire trunk and replace the wiring on the dash, replace the dash and then go into the engine bay section thru the firewall.

All help is appreciated!

Roger

I know you fellows are discussingdifferent cars and wiring harnesses, but I am trying to figure out how to remove the dash on a 1948 Desoto S-11. Can arness from nyone help me with this. I have bought my have bought my harness from Wiring Harnesses Unlimited and have labeled everything according to their list/legend to make it easier, I hope. I just need to know how to remove the dash and I am going to cut the wire trunk and replace the wiring on the dash, replace the dash and then go into the engine bay section thru the firewall.

All help is appreciated!

Roger

One of us that's into Buicks might know, but you might want to check on the Chrysler forums since Desoto was a division of Chrysler (and not GM)