1960's Lincoln Continental 4 door convertibles

Guest straight shooter

Barry what would be interesting is to know what techniques, etc. took Lincoln 3 days vs. Cadillac's couple of hours build time. That is assuming the account I read (which I believe came from a compilaiton of articles from "Old Cars Weekly" is correct.

On the Mark II, when Continental was formed, they used a dedicated facilty, correct? Maybe not "hand built" but I wonder of those techniques were carried over to the 60s Lincoln models.

• 2 months later...

In fact, Ford didn't build the Continental. All sheet-metal was fabricated by an outside source and shipped to the Continental plant, ready for paint and assembly, as were most of the other parts. I don't think they actually "built" much at that plant, at all. Kind of a boutique manufacturer.

On the Mark II, when Continental was formed, they used a dedicated facilty, correct? Maybe not "hand built" but I wonder of those techniques were carried over to the 60s Lincoln models.

Ionia Body built the Continental Mark II bodies.

The '60's Lincoln Continentals (subject of this thread) were built in Wixom.  I believe the 1961-63 models could almost qualify as being 'hand built' as they were semi-unit-body with the front clip and rear clip being fitted & welded to the frame first, and then the roof and floor pan welded in place next. 

Craig

I was responsible for the care and feeding of a 1967 convertible one summer. As a GM guy I was impressed with all the driving qualities. I only got stuck once with the top in its mid cycle position. I liked the car buy that laminated board with all the relays was a PIA before PIA was an acronym.

Over the years I have thought about buying one (usually after I see a rerun of Green Acres). Today I would probably build a digital I/O board for the top. I am surprised some one hasn't.

Bernie

Guest LuxDriver

Well I haven't owned these years, I did own the earlier 58,59,60.. Which I love stylistically ,not mechanically or by fit and finish comparing to rivals. Before you all get into "attack mode".. I love lots of cars and Im voicing my opinions..while I loved 58 (how wild was that in 58!) 60 for some more refinements and it seemed more money and time was put into them, Cadillac was the car to beat.

On to the 61-67.. Personally I think 1961 was an original, more intimate statement ..love the two toned leather and size controlled image new for the time and different for the market.. I personally like. 61, but moreso 64/65. Liked the RR influence in 65, and ribbed tailights ..quiet elegant cars style wise. And yes I love 1964-66 Imperials too.. Very strong, well made elegant automobiles and great interiors with nicer dashes than some earlier years of that make . I've own many of them. Love them ..

From what I've owned..which is also everything lux .. Lincolns seemed to have more issues with upkeep and mechanical /electrical than the other makes.. The elaborate top mechanism ,which I loved, can be challenging to keep working properly. In my opinion those issues keep the prices down as well as costs to redo. Let's face it, a dolled up chrome Luxo car get attention and bring the big dollars by collectors. It's been that way since the 1930-now if it's not sports it's glamour people pay for ultimately . 61-67 Lincolns are understated which works for, and against them. People enjoy being dazzled and entertained by showy makes n models.

I grew up working in the social-economic circles of used car dealers and their customers. I would be at a lunch table with my Grandfather listening to stories about someone's Cadillac being trashed because buying the Cadillac was overstepping their place in the social ranks. It seemed like after they had been shown their place they reappeared with a Lincoln. And you never hear of a Lincoln being trashed.

Those youthful memories like that (from 14, 1962 to 18, 1966) always attached the stigma of the Lincoln as a lesser car to the Cadillac in my mind. It is really hard to get something like that out of your head. Recently I have been looking into Lincolns more than before, but I'm pretty sure I will be swayed by a Fleetwood or Electra before I pull the trigger on one (pull the trigger,now that's Freudian!)

Bernie

I remember my very first model car kit. It was a 1959 Imperial convertible, painted red, purchased and assembled for me by my father. Some years later, after I got into the old car hobby, my father admitted to me that he always admired the '57-'59 Imperials but would never own one as he considered them to be too "Hoyty-toyty" and he didn't want to be a "show off". Besides, my mother would have insisted on the color red which would have made it way too flashy. His choice would have been a tutone brown. He settled on a red/white 1957 Oldsmobile, which, I guess was more suited to his social-economic leval.

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)