65 Manual confusion

ArtDan

I'm researching which manuals I will need for my 65 Riviera

There's a "Body Manual"

a 500 pg "Chassis Service Manual"

and a 918 page, 2 volume "1965 Chassis Service Manual"

Are all of these manuals distinctively different and necessary for working on my vehicle?

Any other manuals, service bulliten collections, and the like that prove beneficial in learning about this car?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Go for the factory Chassis Service Manual first. 500 pages sounds about right. I'm taking a WAG* here that the 900 page two volume set is something that someone has copied from the original and it's only copied on one side of each sheet of paper. ??????

The Body Service Manual (at least the one I have for my '63) shows how to remove moldings, door panels, head liners, front and rear glass, align doors, and smaller things. From what I can tell, most of the stuff covered in the Body Service Manual is something I'd leave to a professional glass installer, upholsterer, or body man.

Ed

*Wild Assed Guess

You'll need the 1965 Chassis Service Manual for series 45000, 46000, 48000 and 49000 and the 1965 Body Service Manual, all models. There is also a 1965 Riviera Body Service Manual available - my copy is a reprint.

Also, look up Jim Cannon on this forum. He is the 1963 Riviera tech advisor. He has available copies of the 1965 Buick Dealer Service Bulletins on CD-ROM and sells them at a nominal cost (it's the best investment you can make).

Thanks for the feedback, Jim!

Yes, I have the Dealer Service Bulletins on CD for $10 for '63 and '64, $12 for '65 (because they span 2 CDs), plus $5 shipping to the US.

I take PayPal at my 63Riv at comcast dot net e-mail address.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I'd get both the body & the chassis manuals. You never know what you'll run into , you may need access somewhere, the body manual will help find how to gain that access.. I have both, and have used both...

Guest 1963 Riviera

HI GUYS,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what kind of information will I find in a Service Bulletin.

As it says, "Very Junior Member"

New YORK or New ENGLAND ?

Service Bulletins were issued by the manufacturer to correct problems with a particular vehicle after the Service Manuals were published.

As problems arose, and solutions were determined, Service Bulletins would be published with the new information.

As an example of what a service bulletin would cover, the 1965 shop manual doesn't give any specific instructions on the removal and installation of the heater core. The service bulletin has six pages and nine illustrations with 20 individual steps covering the procedure. The bulletin starts by saying that "Dealer product reports have indicated a need for a standard method of removal and installation of the Riviera heater cores based on flat rate studies." The flat rate book allows 5.6 hours. I think that those who had done one would laugh at that.

• 3 months later...

A question for Jim - do you also have the 65 Body Service Manual on CD ? Or just the buleetins?

I don't really wanna have such a fat booklet posted to Australia if I can avoid it. I'd be happy to pay whatever someone charges for a CD and then print any needed pages myself to save the trees and postage