65 Heater Core

Jim65Riv

I need to replace the heater core and control valve in my 65 when spring and my mechanic come back from the south.

I have checked CARS and Classic Buicks. Has anyone bought these parts from either of these suppliers?

CARS offers the heater core for $98.50 and the valve for $34.50.

Classic Buicks offers the core for $139 and the valve for $26.

Any comments will be appreciated.

I need to replace the heater core and control valve in my 65 when spring and my mechanic come back from the south.

I have checked CARS and Classic Buicks. Has anyone bought these parts from either of these suppliers?

CARS offers the heater core for $98.50 and the valve for $34.50.

Classic Buicks offers the core for $139 and the valve for $26.

Any comments will be appreciated.

I have a 1964-64 Riv. heater core with ac.The Man told me it was rebuilt.It do's look very nice. looks like new. I will guarantee to be good 65.00 + shipping Or Pick it up at the Buick swap meet here at Kane county fair grounds Feb. 26

John Hanson

Hi Jim,

It has been awhile since I replaced either of these items but I am sure the heater control valve is readily available at most auto parts stores and probably for under $20. It is not an exact replacement as the control valve body will not be slotted to fit into the bracket which secures it. To make it fit into the bracket you will need to take some material from the opening in the bracket. It`s possible one of the Buick vendors has an exact replacement but I doubt it.

In terms of the heater core I always had mine recored because the aftermarket cores most often had nipples which were shorter than the originals making clamping of the hoses difficult once inserted thru the firewall. There may be an aftermarket core which folks are finding has the correct length nipples but these days who knows what you will receive?

Perhaps someone who has recently done this job can chime in.

Tom Mooney