Carpet mats from Clark's Corvair?

Adambravo

I've got a white '63 with the blue vinyl interior, and have been wrestling with various floormat options. I had ordered carpeted mats with a Riviera script from OPGI, but they were too light; I'm now looking at both the same design in dark blue (the sample they sent is a reasonable match) or the black tri-shield rubber mats. I saw references to Clark's Corvair here, and they are sending me a few samples to check color. Unfortunately, there's no picture of what their carpet mats look like--only a verbal descriptions.

Can anyone help out here with a visual (or a recommendation)? Thanks in advance...

When I purchased my '63 from the original owner back in '82, it came with a set of original mats (there was a receipt for them in the paper work I got with the car.) They were white (looked funny on black carpet but they matched the seats and door panels) and had the Buick tri-shield emblem on them. I do not think that Buick made specific mats just for the Riviera. So it's my opinion that (at least for '63) any mat with a Riviera emblem would be something thought up by the aftermarket manufacturer. My '63 "Accessories Brochure" shows only Tri-shield mats available as well.

The full length mat I had for the front of my '85 didn't have a Riviera symbol on it either. All it had was a "GM" logo stamped onto a piece of rubber.

If Calvin Clark is offering something for sale as OE, chances are that he's done a lot of research on it before he made it.

Ed

Thanks for the notes so far. To clarify--the carpet mats with the Riviera logo (1963-1976 Riviera - Floor Mats, Carpet Matched - Protect your carpet with these color matc (BR01455) | Interior Soft Trim | OPGI.com) are identified by OPGI as aftermarket. The tri-shield floor mats (1963-1976 Riviera - Floor Mats, Buick Tri-Shield - Genuine rubber mats Features the Buick (S240226) | Interior Soft Trim | OPGI.com) are identified as "authentic reproductions". The carpet mats at Clark's (Clark's Corvair Parts, Inc. - Corvair Parts Catalog - Over 12,000 parts) are apparently fabricated there, with no script or logo.

I'm leaning a bit towards the tri-shield mats, but was hesitating because I have dark blue carpeting and these mats are black.

Adam:

The black tri-shield rubber mats would be "correct" for your car if that was important to you. I found these on eBay for less than OPGI's price, but I could not say with certainty that there is or isn't any difference in quality...

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I believe CARS Inc. also has them...

Hi Adam,

The `63 Buick parts book lists blue mats for the big cars which includes your Riviera. To be "correct" your Riv would have been equipped with blue tri-shield mats. The rear mats or "handy mats" in blue do pop up frequently but the fronts are going to be hard to find. Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

I also have 63' Spyder white with blue. I installed new carpet kit last summer and topped off with dark blue rubber mats from Clarks. They look great. Some interior on mine is dark blue, half the steering wheel, kick panels etc. Only downside is white corvair emblem gets dirty.

These will look nice in your A-body cars, Skylark, Special, and GS, but from the looks of what's posted in the pictures, the driver's side mat isn't correct for the larger series cars, Wildcat, Electra, LeSabre, and Riviera. Too bad they don't make them for the bigger cars; competition among vendors is always good for the consumer.