hard wood in a car

Guest jtr1800

Guest jtr1800

I have a 1965 impala caprice package that I'm restoring and i want to put in hardwood flooring instead of carpet and replace the door panels with ones made out of wood.

what i was wondering is how thin should the wood be on the floor and how can i warp the wood to flow with the change of height of the floor pans?

The best way to do this would be thin sheets of plywood, it's available in 1/8 inch sheets. You can put some heat or steam to them, and make it conform to the floor shape, then laminate another sheet on top of it to make it stay that way.

Interesting concept. I really thought that I knew most of the ways you could customize a car, and I never, ever, thought of hardwood flooring in a car.....kudos for originality, I'd never do it, but it's interesting...

If you are going to go the plywood route, I would suggest that you only buy marine hardwood. It's a little more expensive than standard construction or furniture hardwoods, but the glues used in the laminating are obviously specified to stand up to sea-water & salt-spray, so it is good enough for road use and very strong. I am using some marine ply in conjunction with hardwood structural elements, such as door-posts, roof-rails etc, in a complete wood frame replacement of a '35 Buick which I am restoring.