Well shoot

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

I have had a heart attack so I may have to back off a bit on my DA. I saw something about STP in the steering sector. Does STP sloww down the leaking enough to make usage worth it?

Doug, let me take a pot shot!

STP? Now that is a 'hot potato'. You will remember a few years ago the Federal Trade Commission sued STP for $888,000 for making false claims. I know there are many who will say it's a scam and in engine/trans. use they are probably right to be sceptical.....but in a leaking steering box the thing that is bad for engines may prove useful. The active ingredient in STP (and all other additives) is PTFE. (DuPont trade name is Teflon). These are powders which are suspended in synthetic oil and have a habit of coating and blocking filters and narrow passage ways. In a steering box ,especially as the additive is not under pressure, the sealing action should be likely to reduce your oil leak. I would go for a 50/50 mix and see how you go. Many years ago I had great success with STP in some leaky old Luvax shock absorbers - but put it in my engine? Do me a favour !.

Hope you get better soon,

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Guest brian j

Hi. I can't vouch for this, but i have heard of people using synthetic grease in old steering units that leak, but have no availablity of seals or a suitable thicker alternative, such as STP. The idea is.....the grease won't leak out, and being synthetic, it's not as affected by cold temperatures, and is able to "flow", through all the parts readily. I have never tried it, so you're on your own , as far as your car goes. I'm in the school of thought that "something" is better than "nothing", if you can't keep lube in the sector. Good luck.

Doug try and keep in mind that there is an upper and lower bearing within that box ( not to mention bronze bushings that need lube ) that is irreplaceable as far as I know, they are not a conventional bearing, if I remember right the cage is tapered, I wouldnt go sticking anything inside of that steering box that might jeapordize these bearing not getting what they need to stay alive.

Repair the box right (if its buggin you that bad, they all leak a little ) and dont look for a short-cut or band-aid would be my best advice.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest MidTNDawg

Jason, thanks. Problem is I will be able to drive the car before I will be able to work on the car. As you know, I bought some of the prescribed oil, but it pretty well pours out. So much the horn and lights stopped working until I cleaned the switch. I suppose I am looking for the best immediate alternative.

If you burn up the box you wont be driving it at all, just something to consider. Good luck and nice to hear you are well enough to drive

I did not realize that you wer still that far down, yes if you can maybe pay someone, maybe your machinest friend, did you ever get that complete info from Joe on the box? I would like to see it.

Again hope for a speedy recovery

The idea of mixing grease and oil is anathema to me but it was used by Austin in the rear axle of their popular 'Seven' and I dare say other makers did the same in the past. It should be one or the other but as these steering boxes were designed for oil, I personally, would play safe and keep oil with oil. STP is at least oil based and for a temporary fix you might try it. Perhaps someone could run through a DB steering box rebuild for us; outlining what machining is needed and what can be achieved by the DIY mechanic. It would make for a good read!

Ray.

Guest MidTNDawg

idrjoe provided us with a step by step re-build which curtails leaking. And yes I did capture the info. As to the oil vs grease issue, if I understood 1930 correctly and bought the right stuff, it is indeed a heavy weight oil in the sector. And that is what I am using.

As to my health, I have 4 more weeks before I am allowed to lift mor than 5 pounds. Believe me, after they explain it to you, you really have no desire to do it early. I am recovering very well for the record.

Guest brian j

Hi again. Brian here. I'm the guy that suggested synthetic grease as a possible bandaid. I have another suggestion.... I'm from Minnesota, and in my area we have 2 bearing companies in the area, Berry bearing, and Minnesota bearing. Whenever i pull something apart that's obsolete, and has bearings/seals destroyed i try to clean up the bearings/seals in solvent and look for numbers on the bearings. If i spot a brand name or number i bring them to the bearing store and they can .......believe it or not.... cross reference them to a modern replacement.( i have done this with VERY OLD cars) If no number exists they look at the type of bearing, and "mic" measure it. With those measurements they computer check their inventory for a match. Seals can be done that way also if they are not too badly damaged, or you have the corresponding shaft/seal seat for measuring. I have done this many times, and have found a successful replacement 80% of the time. Of course it also depends on how "old school" and friendly your local bearing shop is. Nowadays many of the 20 and 30 somethings aren't interested in helping you. Another thing is......in many cases, lack of adjustment in a steering box (generally speaking, i'm not familiar with your exact box) has only wobbled out a seal, and not destroyed the bearings, or shafts. So when you set up the box adjustments properly, you eliminate the wobble, and may only need a seal replacement. Another fix......when all else fails......i've seen strategically placed fat "O" rings help stem the flow of a leak, often not curing it, but slowing it to a livable level. Just some food for thought while recovering......good luck.

I have used straight STP in the steering boxes of all my antique autos for several years with very good results. I can not say that it will stop your leak but it works well as a lubricant. JackL

I also can vouch for what Brian said about how things can sometimes appear worse than they really are. A few years ago I had a Land Rover which developed a steering box leak. The 'experts' at Land Rover condemned the 'box and would have me buy a new one at some outrageous price. I was not happy. I was also not convinced that nothing could be done. An exploded diagram showed where the leak was probably coming from and armed with the correct seal, which I bought for a few pence, I was able to do a straight swap (taking care to remove any sharp edges from the splines). Stopped the leak, permanently.

It's true that the younger guys really don't want to help you - here in the U.K. too.

Also, I think I should be careful on this forum not to try teaching Grandma to suck eggs. Sorry guys.

Ray

Guest brian j

No Mr. White, i do not believe you would be trying to teach Grandma to suck eggs, and i do not believe there is anyone here taking it as such. i believe Mr. Barnes is grateful for the input, and i believe everyone here is just trying to help a fella out, who's been laid up for awhile. I'm sure he'll figure out what course he wants to take with this fix,and many of the people contributing have had experiences like this, and are sharing their ideas, full well realizing in a perfect world, we all have proper oils, and plenty of reproduction parts, and ticker problems don't exist. What you're suggesting is as true across the pond as here, and i'm personally glad to see you join in.

Guest brian j

I don't know when and if it will ever happen, but if i were to get my hands on an old DB Steering Sector like you describe(maybe there is an old cheap junker out there) i would out of morbid curiosity try to see if i could find modern day bushings/bearings/seals, and restore it. I just recently was commandeered to fix a vintage Zamboni's Hydraulic pump, and ice conditioner drive motor. (local youth hockey assoc.) It has hard to find Vickers parts, and i was able to get everything needed in the way of seals/ bearings/parts. It took some hunting things down to do it though. The DB stuff could be a real challenge. Just how many variations of DB Steering sectors are there?

Guest danceswithpumps

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery, Doug!:)

Follow the dr.'s orders and you'll be enjoying that DA for many more years down the road.

Rod