63 RIV Rear Lamp Sockets

Guest 1963 Riviera

Guest 1963 Riviera

It seems I have bad contacts on my Rear Lamp Sockets. All Illumination works at one time or another on both sides, in fact after playing around with them last night, tweeking the inserts etc, everything seem to be working fine and today the left brake light was not working. So before taking it to the Auto Electrician and spending $$$, I am thinking of replacing the sockets. Surprised that Cars do not carry this part nor does the Buick parts site have the specific model. I have located the correct ones on ROCKAUTO.COM

Has anybody had a similiar problem rectified by replacing the socket ?

replacing this

[ATTACH]114527

With This

Nick

Sunny Sydney

post-81550-143138803482_thumb.jpg

post-81550-143138803495_thumb.jpeg

Had the same issue with my brake lights when I first bought my car. Work fine for a while, the quit. Came back for a while, then quit on the other side. What cured mine once and for all was not the sockets. There is a plug under the carpet on the driver's side. Seems to connect the front and rear halves of the wiring. Found this when I had the seats and console out working on the heater core. May be able to see it by just removing the door sill plate and peeling back the carpet. If not, may have to remove the driver's seat to find it. Clean and secure this connection and your brake/taillight issues go away. At least mine did. Maybe it will work for you, too.

This is a pretty common problem with cars this age. The circuit uses the diecast housing for a ground and over time it just kind of gives out on you. The easiest fix for this is to get a universal socket that has the same diameter as the OE socket BUT with a dedicated ground wire. Run that new ground wire to a fresh clean ground on the frame and 99% of the time your problem will be fixed.

Ed

Here's a link to an Advanced Auto site that shows the kind you need. Two wires and the expanding metal clips that snap into the tail light housing.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Pigtail-Socket-BWD_20974587-P_758_R%7CGRPLAMPAMS_____

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The brake light circuit goes thru the turn signal switch. If the switch is not in a neutral position, as is very common when the sheath on the turn signal actuating wire goes bad (tilt wheel only), the brake lights will only illuminate on one side. After you sort out the basics like good ground and connections, try positioning the tilt wheel in several locations when one brake light is out and you may find that is your problem.

Tom Mooney

I agree with Tom. Listen to him.

Bad ground usually changes characteristics with parking lights on and off. Suddenly what used to work does not, etc.

Bad turn signal switch actuator cable (tilt column) will not change behavior with parking lights on or off. But it will change how the brake lights work after applying the turn signal in one direction, and then the other.

Guest Kingoftheroad

I had to replace one of my rear light sockets, I found a replacement at a local auto parts store, fits & works great !

Guest 1963 Riviera

HI,

Just want to say a BIG THANK YOU for your replies.

I am new to this and having your support makes me feel confident on taking on this amazing car.

Browsing through the thousands of posts I see there is an incredible BRAINS TRUST here

Thanks again

Nick

post-81550-143138804645_thumb.jpg