Printed circuit board

Guest REX STALLION

Guest REX STALLION

For a `64 are these dash printed circuit boards hard to come by? I saw a nos one on Ebay and was wondering if it would be a good thing to have on hand,are they available from any suppliers?

I've seen a couple that were toasted in 66-67 rivs over the last 30 years. I believe the 64 printed panels are simpler and perhaps even less suseptible to failure than the 66-67. Any time I was parting 66-67s, I never sold one.

This is an item that could easily be found good used no doubt for a fraction of NOS cost because there is little to no demand for the part. I can't recall (no guarentee it didn't) the topic of the printed circuit coming up in a Riview Tech Tip or on the forums further indicating failures aren't common.

The printed circuit boards in the first gen cars get chewed up, break or burn out occasionally. I have sold a few over the years but certainly not a high demand item.

On the other hand, the few I have seen go thru Ebay are, in my opinion, very inexpensive. It`s one of those items that doesn`t go bad often but when you need one you REALLY need one.

The circuits can be repaired by soldering a length of wire to bridge a burned out section. I performed a similar repair on the printed circuit board in our dishwasher 15 years ago and it is still going strong, used daily. I`m sure my wife would like to strangle me for that repair..but that pales in comparison to our GE side by side. It has a diagnostic connector under the doors in the front which enables me to troubleshoot it in a matter of minutes without any disassembly. Parts are readily available. The frig is 23 years old and shows no sign of giving up anytime soon...I`m sure my wife will bury me in it...or an old Buick!

Tom Mooney

• 8 months later...