Power Seat and Remote Trunk Release Conversion

bepnewt

Thanks. Both will be a no-go for me, then.

Where would the power switch for the seat go in a non-deluxe interior car? Near the power window switch?

I'll eventually add a remote ( key fob ) trunk release I think. That's way in the future, though. If anyone has done that conversion, I'd be interested in hearing what you used as a donor for the parts.

-BEPNewt

If you're going to add a remote trunk release, you might look at some of the later Buicks and Cadillacs along the order of my '93 Riviera. It has an electric trunk release but the nice thing about it is that when you lower the lid, you just lower it. The trunk mechanism has a "pull down" feature to it. You never have to slam it or push it to get it to latch.

As long as you're at it, you might as well add electric locks to the doors.

As long as you're at it, you might as well add electric locks to the doors.

An alternative to electric door locks is using the vacuum system from a late 60s Caddy. The system includes a vacuum junction that mounts on the interior side of the firewall, a vacuum cannister, a whole lotta vacuum line, special lock actuators to receive the vacuum lines and switches from a Lesabre or electra. It's a slick setup to add. I did it and it works well, but don't have the courage to cut the door panels to mount the switches.

Thanks for the pics, Jim. That's a good idea with the choice for a trunk release, Ed. I remember encountering my first trunk like that when I was carrying groceries back in the late 80's. Horrible sound when you slam one of those trunks.

You're way ahead of me on courage, Patrick. I wouldn't have the courage to do the hard work, let along cutting the door panels.

-BEPNewt

-BEP

Brian, there is an option for the power door locks. Electric Life makes a kit that you can add to your car that does not require any drilling or cutting of the door panels. Aside from the wiring, you install a push pull actuator to each door and when you unlock your door with the key the movement of the actuator on that door causes the other door to do the same. When you exit your car just push the door lock button down as normal and the other door locks as well. They also make a kit that has a remote on it which costs a bit more. On the first generation Riviera the installation on the doors is very easy because the door skins are easily removed and this is the only way to access the window and door lock mechanism.

Good Luck,

Don