No keys for my 64 Riviera

Guest rnoswal

10 minutes ago, RivNut said:

My 63 came with both. The hexagon for the ignition/trunk, and the pear shaped one for the glove box and trunk.  Ive still got the punch-outs for each key with the codes stamped into them.

Checked my 63 last night. I also have two keys, same as Ed above. Door key will not open the trunk. I have been afraid to try to lock the glove box, based on the horror stories heard here. Mine opens and closes fine. Not messing with it.

15 minutes ago, steelman said:

Checked my 63 last night. I also have two keys, same as Ed above. Door key will not open the trunk. I have been afraid to try to lock the glove box, based on the horror stories heard here. Mine opens and closes fine. Not messing with it.

Try the glove box lock with the door open.  If it hangs up, you can still get to it to work on it.  A squirt of lock-ease before trying to work the key might loosen up any sticky pins or tumblers. 

40 minutes ago, RivNut said:

My 63 came with both. The hexagon for the ignition/trunk, and the pear shaped one for the glove box and trunk.  Ive still got the punch-outs for each key with the codes stamped into them.

Weird but fun. Another mystery to ponder, why did some ‘63 come with one and others with two different keys. A special unknown option?

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Ed,

Sometimes the key codes will be displayed on original paperwork. I know build sheets had them and I believe I have seen them on the dealer issued bill of sale. I also recall seeing the codes hand written in the warranty booklets.

I have also seen over the counter nos coded locks which could be purchased which come with the keys with knock out stamped codes.

Tom

After I suggested Ed take a look at his original docs I realized I had encountered similar docs in the ROA library. Attached you will find 3 original dealer invoices for new `63 Rivieras which clearly indicate there was only one key when the cars were delivered to customers. One of the invoices even breaks down the ignition and trunk key and the code listed is the same.

The later build sheets also break out the key code but I have only seen this on `65 and later build sheets, which show 2 distinct keys and codes. I have never seen a `64 or `63 build sheet because neither I or the ROA library has one?! Buick did a GREAT job of cleaning assembly line debris out of the first gen Rivs!

DOES ANYONE HAVE A `64 OR EARLIER FACTORY BUILD SHEET?

Tom Mooney

img340.jpg

img341.jpg

img342.jpg

img341.jpg

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 2