1931 Plymouth PA engine colour

dravid

Hi All

Im am a junior member currently assembling my 1931 4 cylinder PA engine. Can anybody tell me what the colour of the engine should be as it was when it left the factory.

The car is Green in colour and was built in Detroit then shipped for sale in South Africa. Currently the block and oil pan is Blue with a Red cylinder head.

post-76715-143138750617_thumb.jpg

Tod's engine colors are not entirely correct for 1931 PA's. Don Butlers' book 'The Plymouth and DeSoto Story' says that PAs could have a Red Head high compression cylinder head for a few added horsepower quote/unquote. It would appear you have one of those,they are very rare, and it should remain red....

I do have Don Butler's book but my other documentation leads me to believe that optional higher compression heads only became available in 1932... When I get a chance I'll go back and review the information I have and see if I change my mind.

Guest DodgeKCL

Yes you're right Tod. I missed the line above that says 'the PB was another all-new model'. Then it says 'the engine was the PA Silver Dome refined to deliver 65 horsepower and an optional Red head cylinder head provided etc.etc.'. The reason I got confused is because Butler variously shows 1931 PA photos and '32 PB photos and descriptions under 1932. We today do not use his designations in his book for model/years. '30 is 30U,'31 is PA,'32 is PB,'33 is PC/PD etc. I've seen '33 PCs in hard cover books designated 1932 because they came out in Nov.'32. I've removed my earlier posting.

This PA would have had a silver painted 'Silver Dome' head originally and it appears someone has installed a later PB Red Head on a PA.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Yes....the Don Butler book is a bit confusing in the early year's descriptions and year designations.

Possibly because Chrysler had some very confusing model release dates and overlaps of model production in those early years. :)