Antique Automobile: November/December 2011

West Peterson

I was fortunate to meet Lee and Anne on a CCCA caravan in the mid eighties. Over the years I was able to spend some time with him looking for insights to the many people he had come in contact over the long and productive life he had lived. Political giants, scientists, inventors, scholars, the list was endless, like Lee's life accomplishments. I learned many details of this true American hero's life from his wife Ann, as he was much too modest to even mention a small list of his work that helped to change the world. He truly was a gentlemen's gentleman. I was with him on the Maine caravan in September 11 watching the TV at the Owls Head Transportation Museum when the planes struck the towers. His wisdom and insight proved a correct and clear analysis of how the world would change and what it would mean to the USA for years to come. Rest easy my friend, and thank you for everything you did for our wonderful nation, Ed Minnie

This is very sad news Lee and Anne were a great couple. I meet Lee for the first time in 1965 when I took this photo of his 1910 Stevens-Duryea XXX Runabout at the local HCCA Fall Meet here in Ridgefield. He took the time to answer the questions a 14 year old was asking him about the car. That always impressed me, I had no idea at the time who he was, just a nice guy who also did the awards presentation at the meet. Later on as my interest in Antique cars grew I got to work on his 1919 Locomobile, and served on the local clubs board. He always had something positive to say no matter what the subject was, he will be truely missed.

post-31159-14313873521_thumb.jpg