Seminar on unrestored cars and their preservation

trimacar

A friend of mine needs to see this. He has two unrestored Cartercars that he wants to restore...I beg him NOT to. Here they are....1913 and 1914. Yep....I know...the "NON-SKIDS" are upside down.

post-37352-143138728368_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138728377_thumb.jpg

Yes, he's a Corvette guy, and he happens to use two Corvettes as examples, but the meat of the discussion is NOT about Corvettes, but preservation and conservation of original automobiles. I'm not all the way through it, but he brings up some great points.

In almost every other aspect of collecting, whether it be furniture, guns, toys, or such, original condition is valued much, much higher than restored condition.

Even the motorcycle and bicycle guys value originality (as in original condition, not restored to "original condition".

And, is a NON-SKID upside down then a DIKS-NON. Oops, as I typed it backwards realized it might not make it......

Guest Jim_Edwards

I haven't watched any of the video yet, but in advance of that I would ask the question of everyone when does maintaining become restoration? And then what level of maintaining constitutes any level of restoration? I would think the watching a vehicle slowly deteriorate into a hopeless pile of crap is far less than desirable, if not down right undesirable. By now, most of us should know what happens when unattended perhaps unseen rust is not addressed or wood components found in early cars begin to dry rot. Isn't the major sin in restoration going beyond what the vehicle was originally as it rolled off the assembly line?

I'm of the opinion that any car so called restored to something beyond it's original appearance has basically become a bit of a Street Custom as post WWII cars were once referred to if moderately to radically changed in appearance via paint systems that give a totally wrong appearance.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

A friend of mine needs to see this. He has two unrestored Cartercars that he wants to restore...I beg him NOT to. Here they are....1913 and 1914. Yep....I know...the "NON-SKIDS" are upside down.

Is the Cartercar on the right unrestored, or is it a 50 year old paint job, top, and interior that now, because it is so old in appearance, it is deemed a novelty? Much like half of what shows up in HPOF....

Is the Cartercar on the right unrestored, or is it a 50 year old paint job, top, and interior that now, because it is so old in appearance, it is deemed a novelty? Much like half of what shows up in HPOF....

Both cars are totally unrestored. One was preserved in a museum, the other in a barn.

I like his emphasis on preservation in the video, but he doesn't give many actual tips. He mostly talks about how sellers prevaricate... nothing new there! I'd like to know more about preserving an original finish with some rust or a real thin finish that's nearly gone.

Phil