Looks like another Dodge is a Movie-Star

John, you have some good eyes for a 108 year old man. Did you have some fun for your Birthday? And don't tell me about the new tennis balls!

Let's really test you. Look closely. Who is that driving the car??

Didn't do much on my birthday. Didn't get any gifts....waaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I guess everyone figures, why buy a guy that's 108 anything? He can never use it up! It looks as if the car has the shorter DH6 headlamps...they almost don't look "bullet-shaped" enough to be the DG8 lamps.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The wavy front bumper is also a good indication.

John...I don't doubt this is an 8...the wide gap is a dead giveaway. Is it an early, or late 31? If I remember right, don't the late 31 8s have the double wavy front bumpers (like the 32 6s and the attached image) while the 31 6s have a wavy top bumper bar plus a straight bottom bar (like the one in the clip, and the 32 8s)? And, if this is a later model 31...shouldn't it have a ram mascot?

So, is this an early 31 8?...or a late 31 8 with some problematic accouterments?

post-61720-143138722334_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil 32DL6 (see edit history)

John...I don't doubt this is an 8...the wide gap is a dead giveaway. Is it an early, or late 31? If I remember right, don't the late 31 8s have the double wavy front bumpers (like the 32 6s and the attached image) while the 31 6s have a wavy top bumper bar plus a straight bottom bar (like the one in the clip, and the 32 8s)? And, if this is a later model 31...shouldn't it have a ram mascot?

So, is this an early 31 8?...or a late 31 8 with some problematic accouterments?

The 1931 DG8s had the double wavy bumper. The car in the movie is a late 1931 with 1932 DK front bumper. The three front door hinges say late 1931. I guess the owner did not trust the film crew with the ram radiator cap. Early cars like the one in the factory promo photo that you posted had two front door hinges and the "shooting star" radiator cap. The ram cap came out in mid 1931. The front bumper on the movie car could be because they could not find a correct item or maybe some of the late '31 DG8s got the '32 DK bumper?? The '31 DH6 bumper is more of a crest in the top bar and a straight bar on the bottom.

post-37352-143138722335_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The 1931 DG8s had the double wavy bumper.

Early cars like the one in the factory promo photo that you posted...

Hunh...I didn't realize that was a factory photo, and I didn't know the double wavy bumper was standard issue on the 8s from the beginning of 31. I thought it was part of the style change mid-31. Learned something tonight!

Just a side note... I knew a man from my area that had a really nice '30 or '31 Plymouth sedan with a four cyl.engine. (Really could give my Model A a run for it's money). I hadn't seen him for maybe 20 yrs. when he called the business I worked for. I asked him what happened to the car and he told me he sold it to a movie company and that it had a "starring role". As it turns out ,it was used in a newer gangster movie,actually shot fiull of holes and driven off a pier into the bay. What a sad ending for a really nice and rare car. I think it's still at the bottom of the bay.