'37 vs '39 Seats

bobj49f2

Guest Grant Magrath

Unfortunately, the 38 is a sedan an the 39 is a coupe, so I can't help you! The 37 and 38's are more or less the same, but the 39's are quite different body-wise.

Cheers

Grant

Every time I see someone asking if something from a '39 fits something else, I immediately think, "probably not." I didn't realize that when a got my car. I just loved the car, and saw there was a good supply of '39 parts out there. So I went with it. I would say that the seats would not fit other years due to the difference in the body. I'm sure they can be made to fit, just a matter if you want a direct fit or not.

Billy, I realized this too after I started on my '37. There are very few parts that interchange between years or even between model within the same year. It must have cost a fortune to retool every year. I think GM learned after the war that it was a lot cheaper to share parts from model to model and carry some parts for a few years.

The reason I asked about the seats is because just from casual looking on the net the cab part of the cars looked similar. I need a bottom cushion and found an entire set of seats on the hot rod web for sale for a '39 that looks pretty decent.

I think I have a line on a bottom cushion from a guy about 20 miles away. He just happened to stop by my shop today to pick up a couple of parts and I mentioned the '39 seats I saw and how I am only missing the back bottom. He said he has a decent bottom with decent springs. I'm going to go look at it this weekend.

Dave,

Thanks, but I have a good front seat. I've had three '37 Specials, the first the interior was horrendous, looked some hippies from the '60s used drapery material to recover it.

picture005.jpg

The back seat's bottom cushion was made from 2X4s and 12" of foam rubber. The second car didn't have a back seat at all and the third I bought on line mainly for some trim pieces and the back seat looked complete. It was complete but was completely rusted and useless. You'd think I be luck at 1 out of 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

Did you get your rear seat? I recently acquired a 1937 model 41 that I will be parting out next summer and the rear seat doesn't look bad. I live in northeast Ohio if you get around to this part of the country it would save the aggravation and expense of shipping.