Watch Out for Fraudsters...

MikeC5

I believe someone here mentioned a few months back about being ripped off via an unsolicited e-mail from someone claiming to have the exact DB part they were after. I had posted a wanted ad in the AACA classifieds a while back and have received a few suspicious e-mails but I thought I'd share this one..

"Hello, I'm XXXXX from London UK, I have the items in stock and I will like

to know if you are still ready to buy the item(s). Kindly email with your phone."

My response: "Please send photos and list measurements A, B, etc. per the attached diagram. This way I can be sure they are 1925 DB." (I had attached a sketch I've used in this forum before).

XXXXX responds back "Thanks for the mail, I do have the original item/parts (Top Irons & Bows for 1925 Dodge Touring Car ) in good shape and condition I'm asking a 1450GBP for the two and i will be shipping via UPS on 3 working days delivery. I accept payment via Western union or Money gram. What' your complete shipping address?.......See picture is been attach to the mail."

The photos look like they might be from a pre-24 DB, but a restored car. I don't see too many folks parting out restored cars... hmmm. The sketch he sends is a copy of one posted by a DB forum member a few months ago who was kind enough to make these measurements for me. The fraudster couldn't be bothered to transcribe the numbers, he just attaches the same document...

What a maroon...

As they say, Caveat Emptor

post-74074-143138705474_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143138705475_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143138705476_thumb.jpg

I had a very similar experience in response to my forum want list about a month ago. I had three different user responses from the UK. As others have said, after I asked for pictures to confirm they had what I was looking for, the communication stopped. I hope everyone is now aware of this scam. HB

The same thing happendto me whn I advertised for a headlght switch This guy was a Ryan Parker from Liverpool NSW Aust Led me to believe that he was "parting out" a 2249 series DB That term for selling something is not Aussie lingo Anyway the mooron never got any money and I hope he reads this post

I'm certainly not the spelling police, but let's get it right....it's MORON. And if it says "UK" and they "have all the parts that you need", it's a scam. Especially if you ask for a different angle photo. If they can't provide it, they will go away.

Technically, you are correct about moron. However, being a fan of Looney Tunes, I was using it in this mode: "A term of derision often uttered by Bugs Bunny when referring to an interaction with a dopey adversary. It is a mispronunciation of the word "Moron"

Ha ha!!