Headliner

Guest MidTNDawg

Guest MidTNDawg

I have done a lot of things with / to cars. But the only upholstery work has been door panels. Can someone provide pretty much step-by-step directions to remove the headliner in my '30 Model DA? This is to prepare for repairing the top.

Doug, Mine was pretty much caving in and rotten, so not much there. I do know originally mine didn't have any pieces that tacked the headliner to the wood bows and was basically held in the middle where the dome light wood is; there was much discussion about the originality of this and the fact it was mohair. I have seen a couple of variations where the headliner meets the side/ upper panels. The first one is where it looks like a gimp trim piece hides the edge a little. If you carefully remove the gimp you will have access to the small tacks along the edge. As you work along you can get more access to roof framing and get to any attachments along the wood bows. The other variation I've seen is where there is no gimp and the cut edge of the headliner is hidden behind the side / upper panels. This was the way my car was done. I had to gently pry the tacks of the side / upper upholstery panels away from the tack wood above doors windows and curved tack wood at the rear corners. Then you have access to the tacks along the edge of the headliner....start removing those tacks and as the roof framing comes into view you can get get to any attachments you have along the wood bows. In both cases you'll have to remove the dome light glass/ cover plate, but probably not the housing itself. Hope this makes sense and good luck!

Guest MidTNDawg
Maybe I should just scan them and post them here.

Thanks to all. John, my e-mail address is already sent. Bob is right all the info we can get is good. I am hoping to re-use my headliner just for the sake of originality, so I need to understand as much as I possibly can, but I know 82 year old fabric is fragile.

Guest MidTNDawg

"The first one is where it looks like a gimp trim piece hides the edge a little." Bob, is the "gimp" you refer to, what I am calling a "rope" trim? Thst is what my DA has. Thanks.

Doug, yes, kind of....sometimes people use the term "rope trim" to refer to the windlace around the doors....this trim (gimp) is a little different and sometimes more decorative....anyway, I have a '29 and you have a '30 so may be a little different...if you have a "rope trim" it is there to hide the edge, so I would carefully try to remove.....it may be that it has a sort of tacking strip edge to it that may be hidden.....so just do a little investigation close-up...to me the hardest part of the whole thing is having the courage to take it apart....I don't mean to trivialize the project, but when you look at something that is hard to understand; you have to think along the lines that if it went in, it has to be able to come out, albeit carefully and considered....that is the only way this non-mechanic kind of looks at the engine :)

I will post some pages here and to all who have emailed me. These are a different company, but similar in techniques, I believe. Click on the thumbnails a few times and they get really big.

post-37352-143138703383_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138703392_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138703398_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138703406_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138703413_thumb.jpg

Is that the reg. I helped you find and if so which part number is it and year and model of the car that you will put it on will be of future value. Thanks

Guest MidTNDawg
Doug, yes, kind of....sometimes people use the term "rope trim" to refer to the windlace around the doors....this trim (gimp) is a little different and sometimes more decorative....anyway, I have a '29 and you have a '30 so may be a little different...if you have a "rope trim" it is there to hide the edge, so I would carefully try to remove.....it may be that it has a sort of tacking strip edge to it that may be hidden.....so just do a little investigation close-up...to me the hardest part of the whole thing is having the courage to take it apart....I don't mean to trivialize the project, but when you look at something that is hard to understand; you have to think along the lines that if it went in, it has to be able to come out, albeit carefully and considered....that is the only way this non-mechanic kind of looks at the engine :)

Bob, my '30 was made in April -early May of '29, so technically it is a '29 titled as a '30. Is yours a Deluxe? Someone mentioned it may have a groove which an edge is pressed into, but from yours I am assuming the trim is tacked over the headliner which will then be tacked up itself. Trying to get it out and replace the same old material without tearing it up is probably a challenge I will fail to meet. Believe me I have the same approach to this as you do.

Doug, wish I had the photos out to scan for you about the different interiors I've downloaded or folks at this site have uploaded...mine isn't a deluxe from what people on this forum have told me....it did have a mohair headliner....there was no groove the headliner was pressed into, though I know that was common on many other later cars. ...from what I've seen it was either the headliner "tacked / tucked" behind the upper upholstered upper side panels OR the headliner edge was hidden under a piece of decorative gimp edging...mine was done in the former; sounds like you have a "rope trim" of sorts.....just be very careful with the taking out of the tacks and if the fabric isn't rotten you should be able to take it out fine...I've had 80+ year old chairs w/ mohair fabric that I reworked and they were fine to sit in after being redone....if you've got a broadcloth headliner it may be a little trickier as the fabric is probably not as thick...also, the nap of the mohair is a little more "forgiving" in covering any tack holes...as my second grade nun used to say "patience is a virtue" :) and patience is what you'll need more than anything else. Good luck!

Sorry for the delay in my further response, I am in the last leg of a home project, I have 2 different books published by Budd bodies dated late 20s early thirtes that is the instruction books for servicing the Dodge mono piece bodies, they give clear instructions with some diagrams for all facets of these bodies and covers in detail the headliner removal top removal process.

I will quote a particular portion that closest pertains to what is found in the DA..........

Headlining ( all closed models)

This part is cut to size from headlining cloth and has listings ( strips of cloth ) sewed on at intervals. Listings are tacked to the wood cross bows of the roof and suspend the headlining in the proper position. The sides, front and rear of the headlining are then tacked to the trim strips along the upper part of the body. To remove the headlining, follow the procedure as outlined in the removal of the rook with the exception of course, of actually removing the the roof attaching bolts and screws. .................

It then jumps to another page I am assuming that will show the roof removal in further detail. The book is pretty fragile from abuse and I have not yet made a copy of it but if you are not in a rush I can look into this further.

It seems to have already offered a very nice clear explanation, I have seen this in parts cars but they are usually pretty far gone, my car has the original headliner in it and I have never attempted to remove it.

I wonder if Terry might be seeing this post, he would prob. already have his out and maybe he will add to this. Surely Joe has something to add. I hope this helps

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest MidTNDawg

Thanks Bob and Jason. Someone has put Oak strips across the headliner to hold it up so I suppose the listings have given up the ghost. Jason, what is the name of your book? Maybe I can find something on the internet. Otherwise I would appreciate whatever you can provide. I assume I should start at the front and work toward the rear. Anyone, anyone with comments? BTW, I will not be starting this for probably another month or more, so There's time for whatever I think.

FYI, I approached a couple of the spray-on bedliner folk, and they have no interest in trying to waterproof the top.

I will be posting when I think I am ready to begin on the top.

Book is titled ........instruction books for servicing the Dodge mono piece bodies...........They were issued directly by the Budd body corp assuming for the Dodge Brothers service people exclusively. Send me your e-mail again and I will scan thru it and see what might help and try and get that your way as long as there is no rush.

BTW I have removed side panels ect and put them back in my own car and have spare sets so I can certaintely help with any of that, They remove easily, let me fool around with my car and get back with you

The "gimp " trim you refer to is called "wire on welt". It's still avail.in many colors from Restoration Specialties, LeBaron Bonney and maybe Bill Hirsch. They will all send samples. The trim is nailed on over the seam and the folded over to hide the nails. These companies also sell matching windlace for around the doors and Restoration Specialties and Lebaron ' Bonney have the correct roof material available . For instructions on installing the top and headliner you may try the Model A Ford club site . They usually have some very detailed articles available and the manner of installation is probably identical. Good luck