Oil pressure

414TATA

Love this site

Just a follow up on the detergent vs non detergent question I previously posted.

Thanks for all the advice I sure do appreciate it.

Another oil question. My pressure runs about 50 at highway speeds (50-55 mph for me) looks about 30 or a little under at idle.

I think this is good right?:D

Wayne B.

1941 Buick Super 50

post-78086-143138698455_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138698486_thumb.jpg

Guest BigDogDaddy

I had tried to look up what the oil pressure should be. I looked in the factory shop manual, and several period repair manual for various makes. I could not find any specific numbers. The books seem to say that as long as the gauge indicates there is pressure, that is good enough.

It is like they are saying, " Is there oil pressure ? " " Yes there is. " " Well that's good enough. :D " We don't care how much pressure there is, as long as there is pressure, you're good." " Really ? ! " :eek:

Wayne,

There are LOTS of old car owners that are now wishing they had your oil pressure numbers !

Seriously, the next time you change your oil, and I do mean you, not the guy at "quicklube",

Probe in the drain hole w/ a coat hanger or curved rod, and see if you can pull out any "mud".

It will be dark grey/black. If you do get some, it's time to pull the pan, and clean her out. Not a big deal, but a good investment in a fine old car.

Mike in Colorado

Guest shadetree77
It is like they are saying, " Is there oil pressure ? " " Yes there is. " " Well that's good enough. :D " We don't care how much pressure there is, as long as there is pressure, you're good." " Really ? ! " :eek:

:)That reminds me of something I found out about my first car. I noticed that when I ran the car for awhile then came to a stop, like at a stop light, the oil pressure light would flicker until I got going again. I thought I had a serious problem, but come to find out the owners manual actually says that this is a normal occurrence! Sounds like the makers were covering there behinds by telling the customer it's normal to have low oil pressure. Go figure.

Guest OLBUICKS

I've read a lot of low oil pressure on older Buicks. Mine goes down to about #10 at idle when it gets to temp. At first start it's 50+. One article I read in TT several years ago a guy burnt his engine up when the sludge was sucked up into the pick up screen. So I pulled my oil pan off to check the sludge in my pan,,, glad I did. It was a pretty simple job o the 38 Special, when you drop the sway bar. I would NOT take a coat hanger and pull the sludge out of the engine when changing oil, . you just might wake up a sleeping giant that's waiting to head for your screen.. My 2 cents.. Best of luck to you all..

Edited by OLBUICKS (see edit history)

Hey Buick lovers

The feed back here is always educational. I have gained a lot of good info on my old Buick.

The question I have is regarding interior odor. Not any particular smell just kind of old ( hey the car is 70) I am thinking the car sat for years with the windows shut. The interior is in excellent condition. Maybe just the original foam and cotton in the seats? Hard to tell what it is.:confused:

I placed an electric air filter just today in the floor while the car is in the garage windows closed.

Had a fan with the windows down and baking soda in the floor as well as vinegar in a bowl. Not all these at the same time. It is getting better but is still there.

Is this just the old car smell " get used to it":( or can I do more).

It is not overwhelming but would like an improvement if possible.

Thanks for the expertise

Wayne B

1941 Buick

Super 50

Edited by 414TATA
correct errors (see edit history)

Wayne,

There are LOTS of old car owners that are now wishing they had your oil pressure numbers !

Seriously, the next time you change your oil, and I do mean you, not the guy at "quicklube",

Probe in the drain hole w/ a coat hanger or curved rod, and see if you can pull out any "mud".

It will be dark grey/black. If you do get some, it's time to pull the pan, and clean her out. Not a big deal, but a good investment in a fine old car.

Mike in Colorado

I did the pull the pan thing on my'39 in June, 2010. I couldn't believe the guck I cleaned out of the pan. But then it is an original car, and I'm pretty sure that that was 71 years of crud I cleaned out of there. The crank and lower engine looked good as far as I could determine. Car runs strong and I have oil pressure - good enough for me. I still use 30wt non-detergent oil as I have for 35 years - don't see any reason to change now. Car has 66,000 miles. Its my only antique and I love it almost as much as I love my wife and kids - almost!

Cheers, Jim!

Wayne,

I would suggest if you have another question not related to oil pressure, for example "interior odor" you start a new thread. Many people won't be aware of your new inquiry if it is buried in a post discussing oil pressure.

There are a lot of things people recommend for removing old car smells. Coffee, dryer sheets and even apples along with a multitude of products sold for that purpose. I believe most of the smell can eventually be removed. Good luck.

Carl

Guest shadetree77

My wife bought a canister that contained activated charcoal a few weeks ago to help with a mildew smell in our Jeep Wrangler. It leaks around some of the hard top seals sometimes. It worked well and I recommend trying activated charcoal. It absorbs a lot more than baking soda or anything else. I can't remember where she bought that canister though.

Guest Grant Magrath

Maybe a Closet Camel, or some other moisture trap in the car if you have to leave it with the windows up. Note Carl says "most" of the smell can be removed. I'm afraid unless you completely redo the interior with a Hampton Coach kit, or similar to get the "new" car smell, you're stuck with it. I kinda like it!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath
My wife bought a canister that contained activated charcoal a few weeks ago to help with a mildew smell in our Jeep Wrangler. It leaks around some of the hard top seals sometimes. It worked well and I recommend trying activated charcoal. It absorbs a lot more than baking soda or anything else. I can't remember where she bought that canister though.

Activated charcoal is used in Corvette fuel vapor cannisters, and the guys who have re-done theirs have mentioned that pet shops stock it.

Cheers

Grant

Guest OLBUICKS

We had a 4 day old car show here in (Charley West ( Charleston, wv) Charley South is Charleston, SC) We leave our cars on the main street for 4 days a total of 914 cars registered this year. My 38 Buick is all original and so many older guys "like me" come by and ask me if they can stick their head in and sniff the old car smell, I say sure go ahead. For me to see the faces on these older gents reminisce of the days gone by, and remember their moms and dads, and grampaws driving these old machines, it's worth it all. We had old cars worth thousands of dollars there, and for some one to walk by and tell me thanks for not changing a thing and to see a car that looked and smelled the way it did when they was younger means alot to me and them also. So if your old Buick has a smell of the past of 70+ years, leave it alone, it earned that smell over the years. and it just might make some one happy. I thank God that I live in a country that we can discuss things like this with people all over the world.. The best to you...

Sorry about the second subject add on. I thought I was starting a new Thread but somehow did not. Guess it went like bills in Congress, lots of extras tied to the main subject.

I am still in a learning curve here about posting but I sure enjoy the forum.

Thanks

Wayne B.